Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diners Club Elite Decision

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Diners Club Elite Decision

@DaJagman wrote:
Ticket machine wouldn't take CSP or my Amex Platinum. Tried them just for the experience.

I used my DC Premier in the Netherlands at a train ticket kiosk a couple weeks ago, chip+PIN. It also works as contactless at Starbucks, the office cafeteria here and in Netherlands, and similar POS counters with contactless everywhere I've been. Free aiirport lounge access is really nice. It's just a fun card for $95 per year, cheap entertainment.

plus it's made of Unobtainium.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 21 of 32
DaJagman
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaJagman wrote:
Ticket machine wouldn't take CSP or my Amex Platinum. Tried them just for the experience.

Not totally unexpected and could have been resolved with e.g. one of Barclay's cards. IMO, having a card that always asks for PIN may not be worth the money for most people and could actually cause issues if your use is mostly domestic. (Ask me how I know.)

Totally understand you on that......I average 2 months overseas a year and plan on making this my spend card when I travel

FICOs: EX: 840, EQ: 850, TU: 841
Bank of America Cash Rewards 50k
Diners Club Premier 40k
Chase Sapphire Reserve 50k
American Express Platinum NPSL
Discover it 47K
Message 22 of 32
Maddog_
Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@DaJagman wrote:

I used my DC Premier in the Netherlands at a train ticket kiosk a couple weeks ago, chip+PIN. It also works as contactless at Starbucks, the office cafeteria here and in Netherlands, and similar POS counters with contactless everywhere I've been. Free aiirport lounge access is really nice. It's just a fun card for $95 per year, cheap entertainment.

plus it's made of Unobtainium.

+1

Message 23 of 32
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Laid out the blueprint on adjustments to make in advance of closing the Elite in about another week or so and thus dismiss the higher AF card.

Plans in this camp are to scale back where needed with AF cards and do away with them altogether within a year's time.

In keeping with this strategy already set out some time ago, it looks like AAdvantage, CSP, and BMO Harris Premiere are acceptable enough for the time being but those first (2) are in the balance and may be slated for a PC away from AF's.

Aside from the best of circumstances and/or worthwhile bonus sets on something new, (no C$R interest here) keeping a limited number of the remaining AF Cards around at least another year.

Concerning specifically Diner's Club those consumer cards had proven their worth for me but it's high time to scale back where they don't meet expectations any longer. Smiley Happy

Anyone else making plans to jettison their Elite or Premiere this go 'round? Your AF is coming up soon if not already.

Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Laid out the blueprint on adjustments to make in advance of closing the Elite in about another week or so and thus dismiss the higher AF card.

Plans in this camp are to scale back where needed with AF cards and do away with them altogether within a year's time.

In keeping with this strategy already set out some time ago, it looks like AAdvantage, CSP, and BMO Harris Premiere are acceptable enough for the time being but those first (2) are in the balance and may be slated for a PC away from AF's.

Aside from the best of circumstances and/or worthwhile bonus sets on something new, (no C$R interest here) keeping a limited number of the remaining AF Cards around at least another year.

Concerning specifically Diner's Club those consumer cards had proven their worth for me but it's high time to scale back where they don't meet expectations any longer. Smiley Happy

Anyone else making plans to jettison their Elite or Premiere this go 'round? Your AF is coming up soon if not already.

Not yet personally. I'll have to think long and hard about keeping it if they get rid of PIN though (which honestly wouldn't surprise me considering how many businesses here just assume you need to sign for purchases and set up their equipment accordingly). I don't even get asked for it anymore at a lot of places that should have no problems with it, probably because they're not bothering for small purchases.

Message 25 of 32
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Not yet personally. I'll have to think long and hard about keeping it if they get rid of PIN though (which honestly wouldn't surprise me considering how many businesses here just assume you need to sign for purchases and set up their equipment accordingly). I don't even get asked for it anymore at a lot of places that should have no problems with it, probably because they're not bothering for small purchases.

Yeah i personally really like the PIN with them both. It's so similar to a Debit Card where we enter the PIN or the sale is a no go.

My decision is that the Elite already more than made it worth the 300AF the past couple of years but since my future travel plans are covered with another lender without such an AF, the Elite card just rests now with no usage and so no sense paying a fee for a card that will here on out only see limited if any use.

I already made provisions that replace it's really nice $20K line. The Premiere will stay around awhile but no need for the pair anymore.

Message 26 of 32
NRB525
Super Contributor

When you have both DC cards, it makes sense to get rid of the Elite. Unless spend on groceries and gas are large family style, the rest of the card features are exactly the same.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 27 of 32
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

When you have both DC cards, it makes sense to get rid of the Elite. Unless spend on groceries and gas are large family style, the rest of the card features are exactly the same.

Exactly NRB525.

Last year Elite and Premiere holders were fortunate enough to get a reprieve from the AF, at least most did as i understand it.

During this NO AF year it should been pretty clear by now if keeping them both are of any benefit or not. With the Elite AF i say not.

Also am kind of bringing this up and around for view because many were approved in the mass dash most of which were in October i think when word spread like wildfire over these cards. It would be a good time to act before the AF does actually come due on that cycle.

Message 28 of 32
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I doubt you're going to get a retention offer, but it never hurts to give it the college try.
I tried a few things to see if they would try and keep me and all I got was;
"you do realize that we aren't taking applications right now and you might not be able to reapply in the future don't you?".
I said "yes" and they said "your account is now closed".
Not even a "sad to see you go".
Hope you do better with the Elite.
I only had the $95 version
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 29 of 32
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@woodyman100 wrote:
I doubt you're going to get a retention offer, but it never hurts to give it the college try.
I tried a few things to see if they would try and keep me and all I got was;
"you do realize that we aren't taking applications right now and you might not be able to reapply in the future don't you?".
I said "yes" and they said "your account is now closed".
Not even a "sad to see you go".
Hope you do better with the Elite.
I only had the $95 version

Fine then.

Just like i like it, short and to the point and done.

However i always on closing any account also request them to mail a letter of confirmation just to cover the bases.

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.