Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diners Club

tag
Maddog_
Contributor

Re: Diners Club

They are going through account reviews over the past 60 days.  Apparently, digging through old account records, it caused their billing system to kick out that $0 balance statement.  They have been reducing credit limits and closing more accounts recently (BMO), for reasons that are hardly justifiable.  I have a FICO over 800 and they just cut my limit in half, even though I have been in good standing with them for 8+ years.  I think they are winding the consumer cards down finally.  For many years these cards were made of "unobtainium", meaning no one could get a consumer card because they were just not issuing any of them.

Message 11 of 27
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Maddog_ wrote:

They are going through account reviews over the past 60 days.  Apparently, digging through old account records, it caused their billing system to kick out that $0 balance statement.  They have been reducing credit limits and closing more accounts recently (BMO), for reasons that are hardly justifiable.  I have a FICO over 800 and they just cut my limit in half, even though I have been in good standing with them for 8+ years.  I think they are winding the consumer cards down finally.  For many years these cards were made of "unobtainium", meaning no one could get a consumer card because they were just not issuing any of them.

Did they give you a reason for the decrease in CL?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 12 of 27
Maddog_
Contributor

They said they were dropping high credit limits in order to reduce their exposure to fraud.  I told them they were taking an adverse action against me and I closed my account.  Goodbye unobtainium.

Message 13 of 27
BuckyB
New Contributor

@LADave wrote:

could just be phishing.

Diners Club is owned by Discover, but the cards issued in the US are issued as Mastercards by a licensee bank.

Diners Club is administered in US by BMO I believe

Message 14 of 27
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@BuckyB wrote:

@LADave wrote:

could just be phishing.

Diners Club is owned by Discover, but the cards issued in the US are issued as Mastercards by a licensee bank.

Diners Club is administered in US by BMO I believe

Diners Club International has been owned by Discover for about 15 years.  Discover owns the global payment network and the trademark.  Individual countries have different issuers of the cards, and for the US and Canada they are issued by BMO but operate on the MasterCard network, which was a change Citi made before selling DCI to Discover and the rights to Diners Club cards to BMO.  There is a strange paradox that Diners Club cards issued in the US and Canada can't be used on the Diners Club payment network, yet Discover can.

Message 15 of 27
BuckyB
New Contributor

Interesting stuff, thank you.  I'd like to see the cards make a comeback.  They have a nice long history and had a great deal of clout back in the day.

Message 16 of 27
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Same happened to me - CLD 30k to 15k. 
Got the AA letter in the mail about 10 days after they did it. They gave FICO score (810) and said "too many new account and high balances on revolving accounts.

Ironically that FICO score is 60 points higher than when I first got the card. Clearly they are trying to run off customers.

When I called to close, it was no questions or attempts to retain me. I said it wasn't worth the AF anymore and with the CLD I didn't feel valued - and the rep said they were getting a lot of closures. 
Stupid decision imho - they just bought BOTW and should have tried to migrate me to one of those cards, I would have probably bitten Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 27
BuckyB
New Contributor

Yeah they've pretty much ruined the card and the brand which is sad.

Message 18 of 27
sjt
Senior Contributor

@BuckyB wrote:

Yeah they've pretty much ruined the card and the brand which is sad.

100%!

Diner's had so much potential. They could have used the brand to market premium cards to their Private Banking customers like JP Morgan/Chase did with the Reserve Card. I wish Discover would take over their personal card portfolio.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 19 of 27
sjt
Senior Contributor

Now that Capital One bought Discover, I wonder what they will do with the Diners Club brand. 

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.