cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 5% Categories for 2022

tag
ZAWARUDO
Established Member

Discover 5% Categories for 2022

  • Q1: Grocery Stores and Fitness Club & Gym Memberships
  • Q2: Gas Stations and Target
  • Q3: Restaurants and PayPal
  • Q4: Amazon.com and Digital Wallets

 

Target purchases include those made at Target.com, through the Target app, or in-store at Target.

 

Digital Wallet purchases include those made online and in-store with your smartphone, tablet, or wearable. Wallets that qualify include Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, and Garmin Pay. Using digital wallets to make purchases on Amazon.com will only earn a total of 5%. 

 


 

Last year's categories:

 

  • Q1: Grocery Stores, Walgreens and CVS
  • Q2: Gas Stations, Wholesale Clubs and Select Streaming Services
  • Q3: Restaurants and PayPal
  • Q4: Amazon.com, Walmart.com and Target.com
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Categories for 2022


@ZAWARUDO wrote:
  • Q1: Grocery Stores and Fitness Club & Gym Memberships
  • Q2: Gas Stations and Target
  • Q3: Restaurants and PayPal
  • Q4: Amazon.com and Digital Wallets

Thanks,

The same as 2021.

 

edit, OOPS, there is a difference  in Q4. walmart.com and target.com has been replaced with digital wallets. and Q2 they added target. I hope the target is for in store.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 16
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Categories for 2022

I think this is a big improvement over 2021, especially the last quarter. I have Amazon and Target credit cards, so the last quarter of 2021 wasn't particularly useful. I don't shop at Walmart. 

But it looks like next year, I'll be able to make use of the categories every single quarter.

Message 3 of 16
Trini88
Established Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Categories for 2022


@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@ZAWARUDO wrote:
  • Q1: Grocery Stores and Fitness Club & Gym Memberships
  • Q2: Gas Stations and Target
  • Q3: Restaurants and PayPal
  • Q4: Amazon.com and Digital Wallets

Thanks,

The same as 2021.

 

edit, OOPS, there is a difference  in Q4. walmart.com and target.com has been replaced with digital wallets. and Q2 they added target. I hope the target is for in store.


Target.com, through the Target app or in store at Target.

Looks like my Target card gets no love this quarter or in quarter 2 seeing as I'll still be in my cash back match. 



Goal Cards:
Message 4 of 16
justjac2
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Categories for 2022

Wasn't streaming one of the 2021 categories?


FICO 8 scores Nov/Jan 2021: EQ 779/751, TU 750/770, EX 763/746 Fully recovered from 5-year Ch13 discharged July 2018.
Last recorded: FNBO Evergreen and PSECU Founder's Card Dec 2021. Seriously out of date, at least 10 more since then.
Message 5 of 16
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Categories for 2022


@Trini88 wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@ZAWARUDO wrote:
  • Q1: Grocery Stores and Fitness Club & Gym Memberships
  • Q2: Gas Stations and Target
  • Q3: Restaurants and PayPal
  • Q4: Amazon.com and Digital Wallets

Thanks,

The same as 2021.

 

edit, OOPS, there is a difference  in Q4. walmart.com and target.com has been replaced with digital wallets. and Q2 they added target. I hope the target is for in store.


Target.com, through the Target app or in store at Target.

Looks like my Target card gets no love this quarter or in quarter 2 seeing as I'll still be in my cash back match. 


My target store has mega groceries and the prices are comparable to other groceries in the area. i am in my first year double cb so my grocery shopping in Q1 will be at local grocery stores with 5 x double back, then in Q2 i can shop groceries at target and get 5 x double back. thats 6 months of groceries with 10 percent back, sweet

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 6 of 16
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Categories for 2022


@justjac2 wrote:

Wasn't streaming one of the 2021 categories?


It was in Q2 2021.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 7 of 16
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Categories for 2022

This is a huge improvement over last year IMO. The 5% in-store at Target and 5% with Apple Pay will be useful categories and I'm glad the wholesale club category is gone and replaced with a more useful category for that quarter since Discover isn't accepted at Costco. I'm glad the grocery, restaurant, and PayPal quarters stuck around as well. 

Current Cards (in order of approval):

         
Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 8 of 16
Trini88
Established Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Categories for 2022


@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@Trini88 wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@ZAWARUDO wrote:
  • Q1: Grocery Stores and Fitness Club & Gym Memberships
  • Q2: Gas Stations and Target
  • Q3: Restaurants and PayPal
  • Q4: Amazon.com and Digital Wallets

Thanks,

The same as 2021.

 

edit, OOPS, there is a difference  in Q4. walmart.com and target.com has been replaced with digital wallets. and Q2 they added target. I hope the target is for in store.


Target.com, through the Target app or in store at Target.

Looks like my Target card gets no love this quarter or in quarter 2 seeing as I'll still be in my cash back match. 


My target store has mega groceries and the prices are comparable to other groceries in the area. i am in my first year double cb so my grocery shopping in Q1 will be at local grocery stores with 5 x double back, then in Q2 i can shop groceries at target and get 5 x double back. thats 6 months of groceries with 10 percent back, sweet


If Albertsons counts towards groceries as well, looks like my Amex isn't getting any love Jan through Mar either 😂😂😂😂. I've been doing my online grocery pickup and Christmas shopping at Target using my Discover and already got a good amount back so far for October and only touched my Target card once for the free shipping 🤣. 



Goal Cards:
Message 9 of 16
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Categories for 2022


@Trini88 wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@Trini88 wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@ZAWARUDO wrote:
  • Q1: Grocery Stores and Fitness Club & Gym Memberships
  • Q2: Gas Stations and Target
  • Q3: Restaurants and PayPal
  • Q4: Amazon.com and Digital Wallets

Thanks,

The same as 2021.

 

edit, OOPS, there is a difference  in Q4. walmart.com and target.com has been replaced with digital wallets. and Q2 they added target. I hope the target is for in store.


Target.com, through the Target app or in store at Target.

Looks like my Target card gets no love this quarter or in quarter 2 seeing as I'll still be in my cash back match. 


My target store has mega groceries and the prices are comparable to other groceries in the area. i am in my first year double cb so my grocery shopping in Q1 will be at local grocery stores with 5 x double back, then in Q2 i can shop groceries at target and get 5 x double back. thats 6 months of groceries with 10 percent back, sweet


If Albertsons counts towards groceries as well, looks like my Amex isn't getting any love Jan through Mar either 😂😂😂😂. I've been doing my online grocery pickup and Christmas shopping at Target using my Discover and already got a good amount back so far for October and only touched my Target card once for the free shipping 🤣. 


Albertsons codes as groceries in my area so you should likely be good there!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

         
Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.