Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT APR reduction denied

tag
trinigal30
Valued Member

Discover IT APR reduction denied

Just got off the phone with a Discover representative who denied my request for a reduction in APR because my account is less than a year old.  I have never missed a payment, I've been paying a little more than the minimum and my utilization is less than 50%.  Anyone had any luck with APR reductions on cards less than a year old.  I've had this card for 7 months.

Equifax-617; Experian-629; TU-628
BOA (max)-$3.6k; Amex(max)-$1.5k; Discover IT -$2.4k
Goal: 725-759 (overall 3 Bureaus)
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover IT APR reduction denied

Start a chat with them! You'll get much more favorable results. 

Message 2 of 25
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Tried to chat for a reduction on mine the other day. My 6m 0% peeiod just ended. They told me that my account was not authorized for a lower rate at this time. I found out my rate was 17.99% though. I thought it was a few points higher, so that was kind of like a reduction...!
QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 3 of 25
trinigal30
Valued Member

HeyArnold - Do you mean online chat or being friendly....lol...I was very friendly and asked how he was doing...but he denied my request once he got done verifying my account information.

Message 4 of 25
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@trinigal30 wrote:

HeyArnold - Do you mean online chat or being friendly....lol...I was very friendly and asked how he was doing...but he denied my request once he got done verifying my account information.

Online chat. 

Is your promo APR done? 

Message 5 of 25
trinigal30
Valued Member

I didn't have a promo APR.

Message 6 of 25
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@trinigal30 wrote:

I didn't have a promo APR.

Ahh okay. Definitely try the online chat. Hopefully the outcome is to your benefit. Let me know how it goes.

Message 7 of 25
trinigal30
Valued Member

They would not budge...The online chat representative said it's standard policy....they would not be able to reduce my APR until i've had the card for a year.  I will have to wait until the beginning of December.

Message 8 of 25
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Just closed my IT via email today. paltry limit and no increases after 2 years. Buh Bye as I have much better reward cards anyway

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 9 of 25
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Interesting, I hadn't heard about having to wait a year. I heard you could ask for it every six months. No guarantee that you're qualified, but that's when you can ask.
QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.