Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Review HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT Review HELP

11.30-Approved Discover IT card- 2k limit.
Purchase began mid December, high balance $1100, wanted PIF but transactions were slowly posting so i made one payment of $485.24- 12/20. Another, the next day, 12/21 for $395.28.

Well earlier today my AU tells me he tried getting a $80 cash advance at an atm, which blocked my card... Even worse he phoned in and answered security questions incorrectly!! (my age) - __-
Now my Discover It card is "under review and someome will call me 24 to 72 hours.."

Btw..12/19-i received an email asking me call and confirm suspicious activity, I did and card was restored.

I'm lost on how to go about handling this. Should I phone in and explain the above situation?

Anyone know anything about Discover Customer protection services? Have similar experience?
Suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
JVille
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover IT Review HELP

What is there to explain? You called in and they restored the account, or am I missing something?
Message 2 of 7
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The alleged suspicious activity happened before the latest shutdown.

OP, I'd explain it just like you explained it here. It's probably about the cash advance. Nothing looks particularly goofy otherwise.

I'd also suggest explaining to your AU that cash advances are something that you should only do when you're in dire straits. They kick in interest and cause you to have to restore your grace period. They're not worth the trouble they cause unless you're truly backed into a corner.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry if my post was difficult fo follow. Heavenohio you got it right.

I actually just called back and explained everything i wrote above, and the gentlemen was extremely polite and easy going. Asked cople questions and even advised me for future reference that my AU doesn't need to lie or pretend to be me when calling. Cards hold has been removed.

i made a thread on this bc of previous poor experience with chase account review last year.. I had that card barely three days and they completely suspended it. Any phone call i made resulted in the same message "we cannot provide anymore info atm, but our fraud dept will call you with 72 hours. Weeks.went on and i never recieved a call nor letter. I finally ran my.report to see they had closed it.
Thanks
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I'd also suggest explaining to your AU that cash advances are something that you should only do when you're in dire straits. They kick in interest and cause you to have to restore your grace period. They're not worth the trouble they cause unless you're truly backed into a corner.

Why would anybody CA a Disco when they can CO it?

OP, look into cash over... If AU needs cash it's free from a participating store. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-and-Cash-at-Checkout/td-p/4987061

Message 5 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Why would anybody CA a Disco when they can CO it?

OP, look into cash over... If AU needs cash it's free from a participating store. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-and-Cash-at-Checkout/td-p/4987061

^^^ This exactly.

For small-ish amounts cash over is the way to go.  No PIN needed, no cash advance fees, and no pesky fraud issues.  Smiley Wink

Here's a direct link to a list of the stores that participate:  https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/cash-over-purchases.html

Message 6 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

The alleged suspicious activity happened before the latest shutdown.

OP, I'd explain it just like you explained it here. It's probably about the cash advance. Nothing looks particularly goofy otherwise.

+100

My AU doesn't even have access to cash advances. Change your password/passcode so that AU can only make CC purchases. If it's your
SO, of course, that's another story. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.