Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Miles

tag
cjesser15
Contributor

Re: Discover It Miles

Just for the heck of it, and to make sure I wasn't misleading anyone, I just went ahead and redeemed the entire balance I had for cash.  I direct deposited it into my checking account with no issues.  And literally none of it would have qualified as travel spending had I selected the Travel Credit option rather than the Direct Deposit option.  

Message 11 of 26
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Well I learned something new.  I'm not sure why they call it "miles" or why anyone would want the regular 1% cash back card versus this one (except for the 5% categories which this quarter is gas - meh).

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont think the discover IT miles is restricted to travel whatsoever.

"

1. Redeem Miles: Starting at 1 Mile, you can redeem for cash as a electronic deposit to your bank account or for a credit for Travel Purchases on your statement made within in last 180 days. Travel Purchases include airline tickets, hotel rooms, car rentals, travel agents, online travel sites and commuter transportation. Redemption may not be available for approximately 24-48 hours if your card is reported lost or stolen. See Miles Terms and Conditions for details.
    Miles Never Expire: we will credit your account with your rewards balance if your account is closed or has not been used in 18 months. See Miles rewards terms and conditions."

Right.  Starting at 1 Mile, you can redeem for cash as a electronic deposit to your bank account  -or- you can redeem for a credit for travel purchases.

So you can redeem for cash.  No travel purchase required.  Yes, you can alternatively redeem for a credit for travel purchases.  But that's merely an option (a generally unfavorable one, in my opinion).

Chris.

Message 13 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

"

1. Redeem Miles: Starting at 1 Mile, you can redeem for cash as a electronic deposit to your bank account or for a credit for Travel Purchases on your statement made within in last 180 days. Travel Purchases include airline tickets, hotel rooms, car rentals, travel agents, online travel sites and commuter transportation. Redemption may not be available for approximately 24-48 hours if your card is reported lost or stolen. See Miles Terms and Conditions for details.
    Miles Never Expire: we will credit your account with your rewards balance if your account is closed or has not been used in 18 months. See Miles rewards terms and conditions."

Right.  Starting at 1 Mile, you can redeem for cash as a electronic deposit to your bank account  -or- you can redeem for a credit for travel purchases.

So you can redeem for cash.  No travel purchase required.  Yes, you can alternatively redeem for a credit for travel purchases.  But that's merely an option (a generally unfavorable one, in my opinion).

Chris.

Right, I have had the card for 11.5 months (oh oh, getting ready to apply for one in my wife's name!) and I believe I have commented earlier that the "redeeming miles" makes 0 sense, you can choose to erase a restricted set of purchases, or you can get cash for everything, at exactly the same rate!    I would guess that originally they were planning to do an Arrival/Venture sort of thing, where cash redemption was at a lower rate, but that didn't happen, so we are left with 1.5/3% on travel or, if you prefer 1.5/3% on everything...   Seems silly indeed.

Re Discover Deals: as discussed this is a real restriction.  The Discover Deals on the normal card are much more wide ranging and include percentage offers (get 10% back on purchases made at...., ) whereas the Miles card tends to be more like Amex deals, spend $X and get $Y back, at a much more limited set of stores.

Go to say cashbackmonitor.com and see all the listings for Discover.   You won't find most of them on the Miles card.

So, apart from that, why not much love?     It depends on your spend.   If you don't spend a lot, the extra over a 2% card doesn't make up for the lack of a bonus.  e.g. you would have to spend $20K in the first year to make up for not getting a $200 bonus.   And you have to wait a year to get the extra 1.5%    Since I MS on the card that isn't an issue, but I am waiting for next month to make sure I really get the bonus!

The other part is the some sizeable fraction of MyFico want cards for the "long term", so getting something that works for only a year isn't of interest.    In the dynamic world of credit cards, I think such a view is not all that sensible, but whatever.

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

So yes.... generally speaking the card is good.  Wonder if they let a person PC to the 5% categories after the first year? If so then that is nice.

Message 15 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

The other surprise is the Wifi credit on airplanes.    I never use it (much more interested in stealing the wallets of fellow passengers while they nap or while they are using wifi to update their Facebook status "on plane" etc) but I got the credit on my second statement.   Turns out that I had paid the checked baggage fee with Discover, and for whatever reason that counted for the credit.  Of course, YMMV.

Message 16 of 26
cjesser15
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

"

Chris.

Right, I have had the card for 11.5 months (oh oh, getting ready to apply for one in my wife's name!) and I believe I have commented earlier that the "redeeming miles" makes 0 sense, you can choose to erase a restricted set of purchases, or you can get cash for everything, at exactly the same rate!    I would guess that originally they were planning to do an Arrival/Venture sort of thing, where cash redemption was at a lower rate, but that didn't happen, so we are left with 1.5/3% on travel or, if you prefer 1.5/3% on everything...   Seems silly indeed.

Re Discover Deals: as discussed this is a real restriction.  The Discover Deals on the normal card are much more wide ranging and include percentage offers (get 10% back on purchases made at...., ) whereas the Miles card tends to be more like Amex deals, spend $X and get $Y back, at a much more limited set of stores.

Go to say cashbackmonitor.com and see all the listings for Discover.   You won't find most of them on the Miles card.

So, apart from that, why not much love?     It depends on your spend.   If you don't spend a lot, the extra over a 2% card doesn't make up for the lack of a bonus.  e.g. you would have to spend $20K in the first year to make up for not getting a $200 bonus.   And you have to wait a year to get the extra 1.5%    Since I MS on the card that isn't an issue, but I am waiting for next month to make sure I really get the bonus!

The other part is the some sizeable fraction of MyFico want cards for the "long term", so getting something that works for only a year isn't of interest.    In the dynamic world of credit cards, I think such a view is not all that sensible, but whatever.

Thanks for the response!  The Discover Deals thing is a lot more complex than I realized.  I always kinda scoffed when I saw people mention Discover Deals as an issue with this card and then I logged in and saw it available.  I didn't realize it was more restricted and less lucrative. 

Please report back when you hit your 12 months.  I still have until April for mine but I'd love to know if anyone is experiencing issues.  

Good point on the spending.  That makes me realize I probably spend too much because I'm easily going to eclipse a $200 bonus and that's with other cards taking up portions of my spending.  Yuck. 

Message 17 of 26
cjesser15
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

The other surprise is the Wifi credit on airplanes.    I never use it (much more interested in stealing the wallets of fellow passengers while they nap or while they are using wifi to update their Facebook status "on plane" etc) but I got the credit on my second statement.   Turns out that I had paid the checked baggage fee with Discover, and for whatever reason that counted for the credit.  Of course, YMMV.

Excuse my ignorance, but a newby here.....YMMV?

Message 18 of 26
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@cjesser15 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

"your mileage may vary."

Message 19 of 26
cjesser15
Contributor

@cjesser15 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

"your mileage may vary."

Thank you! 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.