Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover card question?

I recently decided to start using credit cards for the rewards and credit building. I started with Apple Card and Discover It. Discover gave me 1,000 just got the card in September. Today in the mail I got another card offer or ‘Invitation’ from discover with 0 APR . and so on. Is this common from them? I’ve not even gotten my first statement from the first card. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Discover card question?

You have to wait a year before you can get a second card from them.

Message 2 of 13
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

I would disregard the 2nd invite. Those lists and mailers are packaged well in advance. Unless something extraordinary has changed, I don't think Discover lets you get a 2nd card until the 1st one is at least 11months old. Maybe someone else will chime in to either confirm or provide new insight

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I wasn’t really planning on it but I was just curious of why they would send an offer so soon!
Message 4 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:

I would disregard the 2nd invite. Those lists and mailers are packaged well in advance. Unless something extraordinary has changed, I don't think Discover lets you get a 2nd card until the 1st one is at least 11months old. Maybe someone else will chime in to either confirm or provide new insight

+1

Message 5 of 13
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:

+1 and welcome to the myFICO forums!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!
Message 7 of 13
CA4Closure
Regular Contributor

I have never gotten a Discover invite! My FICO scores are in the 830s. I am on the fence on the Discover It Miles card because i just got the NFCU GO Rewards AMEX card. I have the Discover It card for 4 years with a $23,000 CL. 

Message 8 of 13
Itgem679
Regular Contributor

'You have to wait a year before you can get a second card from them.'

Not quite true in my experience. I had Discover (secured) for just over 6 months and got approved for a second card (unsecured) with 4x the limit.
Gardening until 2023. Current scores (11/2022): Ex: 757 Eq: 757 Tu: 757
CLs: (As of 12/2022)
First Tech World Mastercard: $10k
American Express: $1K
AAdvantage: $2.8K
Wells Fargo Platinum: $4.6K
Discover It (blue): $4.5K
Discover It (red): $4.5K
~6 other cards with limits under $2K
Auth'd user on 1 Capital One card.
All balances stay under 5%.
Message 9 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Itgem679 wrote:
'You have to wait a year before you can get a second card from them.'

Not quite true in my experience. I had Discover (secured) for just over 6 months and got approved for a second card (unsecured) with 4x the limit.

In a variety of reported outcomes by the community (i.e. Discover 2nd card megathread), the typical Discover guideline is typically 12 months.  While your situation offers a great DP, it's more the exception than the norm. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.