Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover chip and pin

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Discover chip and pin

So requested a new card, got it today and activated it via app. Well while avtivating it said please create a pin for purchases. So i thought that was interesting and would share.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover chip and pin

@Skye12329 wrote:
So requested a new card, got it today and activated it via app. Well while avtivating it said please create a pin for purchases. So i thought that was interesting and would share.

Please try to use it and report back if it is chip & pin or chip & signature .. in Europe where chip and pin is more than 10+ years I cannot use Discover with chip & pin and the pin is only for the unattended terminals.  I would be courious to see if real chip and pin works with latest cards Smiley Happy  I hate to sign these paper slips !  For all the others I use Apple Pay but Discover simply does not work with Apple Pay here Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 18
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I will have to give it a try and report back the next time i go out. Does the merchant need to be able to accept chip and pin also? If so i think only target near me accepts chip and pin then.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 18
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
I will have to give it a try and report back the next time i go out. Does the merchant need to be able to accept chip and pin also? If so i think only target near me accepts chip and pin then.

Yes the merchant, the card issuer and the network will have to be ready ... similar to Apple Pay.  Here it is the other way around...US cards are Apple Pay ready and in Europe they have the terminals but not the cards but with a combination of both it works great Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 18
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Interesting, I have a discover with a chip but never heard a peep about a pin. I like the idea of chip and pin a lot more than chip and signature, especially if I can choose the pin, I sure don't need s bunch of new random numbers to remember 😏
Message 5 of 18
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
Interesting, I have a discover with a chip but never heard a peep about a pin. I like the idea of chip and pin a lot more than chip and signature, especially if I can choose the pin, I sure don't need s bunch of new random numbers to remember 😏

that is the most important... I had to adust all pin to a German ATM card as this pin could not be changed. Worked well so far with the exception of the German Amex card which is chip and pin and does NOT allow to change the pin and I do not use this card at all because I cannot remember that pin and hate to look it up.  For safety it should allow to be changed and selected so customers do not have to write it down.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it's worth the help pages for my account don't mention a PIN at all for purchases. I somehow have three cards on my account though (one "temporarily deactivated"), which I don't remember creating. Let me see if I have all three.

EDIT: well that's unfortunate--I only found two of the three. Looks like I'm getting my card/account replaced! Cat Sad (I really don't need three cards though; I wonder how that happened.) We'll see if the same message that OP got happens for me anyway.

Message 7 of 18
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I'm skeptical.  If Discover switched to chip & PIN it would be big news.  Discover's site still indicates that the PIN is only for cash access.

@Skye12329 wrote:
I will have to give it a try and report back the next time i go out. Does the merchant need to be able to accept chip and pin also?

The merchant has to have EMV (supports both chip & PIN and chip & signature) enabled terminals.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got my replacement card today and I wasn't prompted to create a PIN when I activated online, as I expected. The mailer that came with the card also said that "no PIN is required except at ATMs".

OP, what happened when you tried to use the chip at a store?

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is really interesting.  The documentation on their website still notes the cards as Chip and Signature rather than Chip and Pin so if the card DOES work as a Chip and Pin it would be pretty big news.

You can set up a Pin, absolutely, but it's for cash advances (if you want to do something like this, better to get cash back at the register at locations that do it because then it's not considered a cash advance).  Haven't been prompted for a pin at a chip terminal to date, personally - course, I never have to sign squat either so there's that.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.