Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover is having some billing issues

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is having some billing issues

So I got my latest Discover it statement yesterday, and as always plugged the numbers into my spreadsheet, and the cashback calculations did not add up. Here are the issues:

- All but one of my purchases were in the 5% category of grocery stores/Walgreens/CVS. Summing up all the posted transactions, deducting the single return credit I had in that category, I should have earned about $6 more cashback than I was credited with. All the transactions used the correct merchant code, and none of them showed up at 1%; they just didn't give me all the cashback.

- The single purchase that was at 1% (used the wrong card at a restaurant, lol) was for $8.68. They credited me with $0.07 cashback at 1%. Weird!!

Naturally I called in immediately to get it rectified. After explaining the discrepancies, and being bumped from main customer service > billing > billing supervisor, I was told that not all cashback is credited immediately, but will eventually appear on a later bill; and that as for the mysterious $0.07, they were showing $0.09 earned on that transaction, and the same deal, the $0.02 will be there next statement.

The supervisor made it sound like it's nothing unusual, this happens sometimes, has to do with billing cycles etc. etc., but this seems super strange to me. I could see why a whole transaction and its cashback might not make it onto a given statement, but why in the world would 7/9ths of a transaction's cashback show up now and the remaining 2/9ths later? Anyway, I will be carefully monitoring my future statements to ensure I receive all promised credits, and encourage you all to do the same!

Also notable, this is the first Discover statement I've received with a new graphical layout. I wonder if technical issues are involved?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: Discover is having some billing issues

Restaurants will run their cards twice.  Once to print receipt and check for validity, and once to report tipped total and close out the day's batch.

Depending on timing this can cause split rewards.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover is having some billing issues

they have this message in the fine print:

*The Cashback Bonus shown on the tracker is based on your posted transactions for the quarter and may be different than on your statement, which shows the rewards added to your Cashback Bonus account during that particular billing period. The tracker does not include any Cashback Bonus earned through additional promotional offers. Rewards will be added to your Cashback Bonus account within 2 billing periods. We may make adjustments to reduce your Cashback Bonus based on your account activity, such as the return of a purchase or a reward disbursed by us in error.

i'm sure it'll all be adjusted later on

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.