cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover - new account sensitive for CLI?

tag
brookele
Established Member

Discover - new account sensitive for CLI?

I got my Discover back in August, so I just passed my 6-month mark, making me eligible for a CLI per their requirements. It has a $1250 CL and is my favorite, most-used card. I pay for everything, including my rent, with it; I probably run ~$8-900 a month through it (which is a lot for me, considering annual income is slightly <$20k)

Anyway, the only reason I hesitate to call is that I've opened several new accounts between January and early February. I'm very young (22) and just starting out with credit, so my strategy has been to open multiple accounts that will grow with me now, since AAoA is not really a factor for me at all. 

How new account/inquiry-sensitive is Discover when it comes to CLI? Should I give them a call now, or just leave it be for a few months and let everything age? 

Thanks everyone!

American Express Blue Cash Everyday | American Express Green | Bank AmeriCard Travel Rewards | Barclaycard Ring | Capital One Rewards | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Citi Simplicity | Discover IT | Fidelity Investment Rewards AmEx | Freedom First CU Visa | Hudson Valley FCU Visa | Paypal Extras MC | + several store cards

09/05/13

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
brookele
Established Member

Re: Discover - new account sensitive for CLI?

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I spoke to a rep at Discover, and he said it's SP initially, and then sometimes they'll need to do a HP. I'm only planning on going through with it if it can be done via soft. No more inquiries for me.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday | American Express Green | Bank AmeriCard Travel Rewards | Barclaycard Ring | Capital One Rewards | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Citi Simplicity | Discover IT | Fidelity Investment Rewards AmEx | Freedom First CU Visa | Hudson Valley FCU Visa | Paypal Extras MC | + several store cards

09/05/13

Message 2 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@brookele wrote:

I got my Discover back in August, so I just passed my 6-month mark, making me eligible for a CLI per their requirements. It has a $1250 CL and is my favorite, most-used card. I pay for everything, including my rent, with it; I probably run ~$8-900 a month through it (which is a lot for me, considering annual income is slightly <$20k)

Anyway, the only reason I hesitate to call is that I've opened several new accounts between January and early February. I'm very young (22) and just starting out with credit, so my strategy has been to open multiple accounts that will grow with me now, since AAoA is not really a factor for me at all. 

How new account/inquiry-sensitive is Discover when it comes to CLI? Should I give them a call now, or just leave it be for a few months and let everything age? 

Thanks everyone!

Yes. that was 2 of the reasons for my CLI denials the past year. They are VERY conservative on CLI's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 6
brookele
Established Member

@LS2982 wrote:

@brookele wrote:

Thanks everyone!

Yes. that was 2 of the reasons for my CLI denials the past year. They are VERY conservative on CLI's.

Thanks! I kind of figured they would be. I'm leaning towards waiting 6+ months and letting everything age a little bit. I'm not in a place where I *need* a bigger CL or anything, so I'm not too hung up on getting a CLI nownownow. 

09/05/13

Message 4 of 6
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

I would just let them auto CLI you since you use the card regularly. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 5 of 6
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@brookele wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@brookele wrote:

Thanks everyone!

Thanks! I kind of figured they would be. I'm leaning towards waiting 6+ months and letting everything age a little bit. I'm not in a place where I *need* a bigger CL or anything, so I'm not too hung up on getting a CLI nownownow. 

OUTSTANDING Attitude ! ! !  You're learning well beyond your years, not to rush things.  That's an excellent idea to let your accounts age a bit before looking at a CLI.  And who knows, you might get an auto-CLI, and that could also happen with your new cards as well.  Stay in the Garden 6-12 months and then look to make a move.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

ONWARD AND UPWARD ! ! !

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.