Did you mean: 

Discover soft cli question

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover soft cli question

@ojefferyo wrote:

Discover told me it's every 90 days

Yes, it is every 90 days, but the first time you get a CLI can be longer. For me was after 6th statement. My DW after 9 statements not a single CLI without HP and the account is only $500, so she doesn't want to waste a HP to get the card to $1000 or so (she already have 2 cards at 5K), so she just SD the card until they gave her a SP CLI.

You can ask for a CLI every 90 days with Discover.

Message 11 of 17
uswala
Senior Contributor

@newhis wrote:

@ojefferyo wrote:

Discover told me it's every 90 days

Yes, it is every 90 days, but the first time you get a CLI can be longer. For me was after 6th statement. My DW after 9 statements not a single CLI without HP and the account is only $500, so she doesn't want to waste a HP to get the card to $1000 or so (she already have 2 cards at 5K), so she just SD the card until they gave her a SP CLI.

You can ask for a CLI every 90 days with Discover.

Ask your DW to call Discover and ask them if she qualifies for a SP CLI. They are usually very helping. 

Message 12 of 17
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I think if the card is new, it must be 6 months (or six statements) before you can get a CLI. After that, it is every 90 days.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 13 of 17
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@emptypockets wrote:

I think if the card is new, it must be 6 months (or six statements) before you can get a CLI. After that, it is every 90 days.

+1 . I've always heard it's 6 months initially as well. I'm 5 months in and still haven't been able to request a CLI. With discover, the CLI request can be either HP or Soft. However, I think if you call it's always a soft. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). That said, even if you request online, it'll give you a standard warning if it's going to be a HP.

To see if you can request a CLI online, just login to your account. Then in the search bar type in 'Credit Line Increase'. That should get you a link to where you can request. If it's not available yet, it'll tell you.

Message 14 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@emptypockets wrote:

Nope, when I got my card I had to call in because I have a fraud alert on my CR. They approved me and I asked what my limit was and she told me, she said after 90 days I can ask for an increase if I wanted to. So it doesn't matter if the card is new or old it's 90 days.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 15 of 17
newhis
Valued Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

@emptypockets wrote:

+1 . I've always heard it's 6 months initially as well. I'm 5 months in and still haven't been able to request a CLI. With discover, the CLI request can be either HP or Soft. However, I think if you call it's always a soft. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). That said, even if you request online, it'll give you a standard warning if it's going to be a HP.

To see if you can request a CLI online, just login to your account. Then in the search bar type in 'Credit Line Increase'. That should get you a link to where you can request. If it's not available yet, it'll tell you.

If the call is transferred to a representative, most likely they will tell you that a HP is needed, if the system respond with a CLI then it is a SP

Message 16 of 17
newhis
Valued Contributor

@uswala wrote:

Ask your DW to call Discover and ask them if she qualifies for a SP CLI. They are usually very helping. 

Thank you, she will do it after next statement or 2, she will PIF before statement. She is preparing to apply for BCE next month

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.