Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover....which card??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover....which card??

Good Morning.... 

My boyfriend is new to Credit Cards... About 6 mos ago, I got him the Caital one card with a 500.00 limit. I would now like to get him a discover card. I think he should get the miles card because we fly about 3-4 times a year.  But, is the IT card a better choice? His scores are around 640 to 660. No collections and 1 pull for the captial one in the last 12 mos. Any Suggestions.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover....which card??

Are those FICO scores or creditkarma scores?  He'd have a much better chance if you got FICO's up to at least 670-680.  The miles card is perfectly good and Discover is a fantastic choice.  If there's no lates on his report then paying his current card off completely and letting it report to $0 should give a decent score boost, then I would apply.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first two questions I have before giving my opinion is why do you want him to have a Discover card? Is there anything he wants in particular? Discover is an awesome company. I have both products. I just hope you're both aware of the plethora of actual travel cards out there that could be more lucrative in the short term. Sign-up bonuses are all over the place as well. Example being the Cap One Venture. 40,000 miles after $3000 spend in 3 months. That equals 46,000 "miles" total. It'd take you $30,667 in spend to equal that amount. Not to mention it takes a full year before Discover doubles your rewards. Chase Sapphire xxxx are actual travel cards that offer lucrative bonuses as well if your spend permits. As for your actual question, it depends on your spending habits. If you can utilize the quarterly bonuses and Discover deals, then the It card will far exceed the miles card. If not, then the Miles card would be the better option.

Message 3 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

To put it simply they're all cash back cards.

IT - 5% catagories

Chrome - more specific to dining out / gas

Miles - 1.5% + airline wifi credit

They all double the rewards at the end of 12 months and may come with a 0% period depending on your profile.

They tend to start in the lower end of CL's when opening the account due to Disco being conservative but, with time they grow exponentially.

If you get a toe in the door you're doing well since even people with scores in the 800's have a hard time getting into the party.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was at 644 EX with three liens and a collection and was approved for $1000 SL. I was not given the advertised offer. Not too worried though. 

He he might be ok. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Morning.... 

My boyfriend is new to Credit Cards... About 6 mos ago, I got him the Caital one card with a 500.00 limit. I would now like to get him a discover card.

Perhaps this is an ignorant question and I apologize in advance if so, but I'm not following you above.  How do you "get" someone a CC?  You make it sound like you're purchasing him a gift or something.  Are you taking his information and applying for products using it?  Does he know this and/or does he care?

I've just never heard of someone "getting someone" a CC so I guess I'm looking for some clarification here.

Message 6 of 9
MB2714
Regular Contributor

From my understanding you have to have better credit to get the Miles card than you do for the IT card. So probably does he travel and is it worth the hard pull for the Miles when he could probably just as easily get approved for the IT card
Chapter 7 Discharge April 2015. .Transunion 662 07/2017
Equifax 652 07/2017
Experian 657 07/2017
Cap One QS $2,200; Cap One QS$2,950; Cap One PSVisa $1,100; Nordstrom Visa $3,500; Target $300; Syncb/Walmart $500; VonMaur $500; Cap1/Saks $500; Barclays MC(AU) $6,400; Buckle $250; Syncb/Car Care (AU) $2,500.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Morning.... 

My boyfriend is new to Credit Cards... About 6 mos ago, I got him the Caital one card with a 500.00 limit. I would now like to get him a discover card. I think he should get the miles card because we fly about 3-4 times a year.  But, is the IT card a better choice? His scores are around 640 to 660. No collections and 1 pull for the captial one in the last 12 mos. Any Suggestions.

Would get IT.

So many travel cards to choose from esp. if you guys concentrate on one airline (which is not that uncommon because the airport most convinient for you could itself bias towards certain airline schedule/price/lounge wise, such as when it is a hub for that airline) a co-branded card from said airline could be a lot more rewarding (more points/free checked bag/earlier boarding/etc) than "yet another 1.5% back card" which is what Miles card really is. 

Would use IT to build up scores for the above as that is likely needed.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would go with the IT before the miles card. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.