Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputes and CC applications

tag
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Disputes and CC applications

Ok so I joined the Army in 04 and I had cell phone service with cingular. In 05 my first duty assignment was overseas and using my orders I told Cingular to indefinately suspend my phone service. I proceeded to spend the next 5 1/2 yrs overseas.When I got back I called Cingular (now At&T) and they said they had no record of my account. Anyway I never really worried about it until I found this forum. I requested my credit report and it said I had a deliquent account from some CA that I never heard of (merchants). I called and they said it was from the cingular phone account and was now $882. I told them I didn't have a bill for that amount and I recently started a dispute.  A couple of things. 

Does a dispute lower my credit score? I was thinking of upgrading my visa to a signature, will the dispute hurt that process? I really don't want to pay for something I didn't do, if the dispute comes back unfavorable TU said it should come off my report in December should I just wait it out? The guy said I can pay $600 and they'd mark my bill as paid or something but he didn't say they'd remove it from my report. Any advice would be great.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disputes and CC applications

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Ok so I joined the Army in 04 and I had cell phone service with cingular. In 05 my first duty assignment was overseas and using my orders I told Cingular to indefinately suspend my phone service. I proceeded to spend the next 5 1/2 yrs overseas.When I got back I called Cingular (now At&T) and they said they had no record of my account. Anyway I never really worried about it until I found this forum. I requested my credit report and it said I had a deliquent account from some CA that I never heard of (merchants). I called and they said it was from the cingular phone account and was now $882. I told them I didn't have a bill for that amount and I recently started a dispute.  A couple of things. 

Does a dispute lower my credit score? I was thinking of upgrading my visa to a signature, will the dispute hurt that process? I really don't want to pay for something I didn't do, if the dispute comes back unfavorable TU said it should come off my report in December should I just wait it out? The guy said I can pay $600 and they'd mark my bill as paid or something but he didn't say they'd remove it from my report. Any advice would be great.

The collection account is hurting you... the Dispute will hopefully remove that account... That would then show no collection account, making your score better.

I would NOT pay it.... you are WAY past time to collect and all that jazz.... it should be a very simple dispute on the credit report, have you pulled all 3 reports and disputed it on each?

Message 2 of 6
enharu
Super Contributor

A dispute shouldn't hurt or affect your scores.
Since its falling off this December I would just let it fall off without doing anything in the meantime
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 6
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Thanks, I heard some people on here saying that if you just let it fall off it could still hurt you. I didn't understand that and from what you guys are saying and from my research that doesn't appear to be the case.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 4 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
A dispute shouldn't hurt or affect your scores.
Since its falling off this December I would just let it fall off without doing anything in the meantime

In reality, disputes do really funky things to FICO up to and including discounting the entire tradeline from the calculation.

AFAIK you cannot be approved for a mortgage, at all, with a dispute flag on your credit report.

While admittedly credit cards are not remotely in the same ballpark of scrutiny for approval, a dispute on a credit report may well get your entire application thrown out.  Not worth it.  There's some good resources over on the Understanding FICO Score board from RobertEQ and others regarding disputes and their effect on one's credit report and score.

        
Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

A dispute isn't really the right way to handle this particular one.  Look for Debt Validation in the Rebuilding forum, make the CA actually validate you owe it.

A dispute is just going to have the bureau ask the CA: "Hey is this legit?" to which the CA may simply respond: "Yup" and nothing gained.

That said if it's falling off in short order anyway with the SOL expiring, may not be worth your while or your postage to chase it.  It's perfectly fine to let it age off from a credit report and FICO perspective, the only caveat is with individual lenders (wireless bill not a big deal imo) who had the account, may not do business with you until it's settled... blacklisted.  In this case if Cingular can't even find the your record it's almost assuredly a non-issue.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.