Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Use Apple Pay???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do You Use Apple Pay???

With the new Apple Card, I realized the 2% is only for purchases made through Apple Pay and it made me wonder "do people use Apple Pay?"
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Do You Use Apple Pay???

@Anonymous wrote:
With the new Apple Card, I realized the 2% is only for purchases made through Apple Pay and it made me wonder "do people use Apple Pay?"

If not every day, close to it. Anywhere that takes contactless I try Apple Pay before getting a card out. Some days I don't even take my leather wallet with me when I walk out the door - the app one will do.

Most grocery stores and fast food places take it now, as do several retailers and stores. Fine dining is really the last bastion where it's not that common, but once they start moving toward the hand-held POS terminals for pay-at-table, I see that changing too.

Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! Thanks so much! Do you know if you can use Apple Pay while you're on the phone? Does it affect the NFC transmission?
Message 3 of 33
delaney1
Established Contributor

Yes, I do. So far, of the places I frequent, I’ve only seen the option at Target, Whole Foods, and Costco.

Message 4 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I actually just used it at Petco though I wasn't sure if they accepted because I didn't see any sign. Glad they did 😄
Message 5 of 33
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Awesome! Thanks so much! Do you know if you can use Apple Pay while you're on the phone? Does it affect the NFC transmission?

It shouldn't. It's not using data or cellular and the frequency isn't going to overlap (there's a reason the FCC regulates frequency use). I've never been on a phone call while using it to confirm, but I do know it works with no wifi and in airplane mode, so you should be pretty safe.

Message 6 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

No. I don’t find it saves much time vs tapping or inserting and I find it feels pointless to me since I’d still carry the physical cards as backup anyway. Plus I’m not sure I buy that the companies exchange no information about your purchase habits, no matter what they claim.
Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only reason I use it is because I have the altitude reserve that gives you 4.5% back on mobile spend. Otherwise, I seldom use it. I do find it to be convenient to use at the vending machines at my job that accept Apple Pay. I just use my Apple Watch to pay and it’s super quick.

I still don’t find it that much quicker than just pulling out your card.

Message 8 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
No. I don’t find it saves much time vs tapping or inserting and I find it feels pointless to me since I’d still carry the physical cards as backup anyway.

What I find (with SP rather than Apple) is I carry many fewer cards.   Of course I want a backup, but a general 2% one is really all I need.   If something goes wrong, I use that card and  I lose a small amount of rewards on say gas or grocery, but that's only one time (next time I can bring the right card to that store!).   So it really reduces the need to have several physical cards.

Message 9 of 33
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Yes, By not pulling out my wallet, decreases the chances of me dropping, or loosing a card. Plus it saves time, and the fact that apple pay uses tokens, it decreases the chances of someone getting a hold of my card info, and causing fraud.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.