cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you really put EVERYTHING on your credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you really put EVERYTHING on your credit cards?

Yes, everything. Even paid my taxes with a credit card this year.

Message 61 of 187
skorpyo3
Frequent Contributor

Most definitely! Then PIF before statement cuts!

|EQ 698|TU 674|EX 665| BK discharged 11/2012

[Amex PRG No PSL] [Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $50,000] [Barclaycard CashForward WMC $25,000] [Patelco CU MC $20,000] [BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $15,000] [Amex BCE $13,000] [Discover It Cashback $13,500] [US Bank Cash + Visa Sig $10,000][US Bank Platinum Visa $8,400] [Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa Sig $10,000] [USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex $15,000] [Citi AAdvantage WMC $5,000] [Macy's Amex $7,500] [JCP $6,500] [Amazon Prime $6,000] [Target $2,000]
Message 62 of 187
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@skorpyo3 wrote:

Most definitely! Then PIF before statement cuts!

This (which is very common here) shows a slight disconnect between goals.

To maximize financial rewards you want to:

1) Pay everything with credit cards

AND

2) Pay in full ON the due date, using auto pay

Paying early gives up the float period, where you could be earning some interest.   Yes, small intodays environment, but so are cash back credit card rewards for many!

Also: as mentioned by others, some people are anti cc usage, for reasons that ARE valid for them.    It's fine to say use it  as a debit card and pay in full, but there are none of the controls of either cash or debit cards.   With cash or debit, there is a natural stopping point, you have no more cash with you or your bank account is empty.   With a cc, your bank account might look fine, unril the 5 credit card bills come, and then all thoughts of  PIF go away!

Message 63 of 187
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

I put everything except rent on my credit cards.
Message 64 of 187
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes.  Mine as well get the rewards.  I have used all I get.  Can't imagine going back to using debit again.

I think I've used my debit card maybe twice in the 6 years I've had it lol. It feels unsafe, and no rewards is no fun Smiley Happy

Tell me about it.   The last time I used my debit card, it was skimmed and cloned!   Smiley Surprised

I use credit cards for just about every purchase I can.   Rewards are a main factor, but safety is #1.   I'd much rather have a credit limit used up instead of having my bank balance drained.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 65 of 187
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Yep, everything. Including rent (when I move to my new apartment next month) and insurance, Internet (auto-pay), and will also be paying electric with CC too. I still carry my Debit card in case I need to deposit cash (or I suppose get cash), but I use it maybe once a month at an ATM.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 66 of 187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crazy, One used to be able to transfer credit into their bank and move it to high yield accounts or day trade and pay the balance off before the 0% ended. All with no fee. And this was when prime rate was closer to 5%.
Message 67 of 187
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

There's no point in paying for anything with a debit card unless you need cashback. Credit cards give you rewards and fraud protection. What Dave Ramsey says about using only your debit cards is terrible advice--if someone steals your wallet, they'll have access to all your money. You just need to treat your CCs as debit cards and spend only what you can afford.

Message 68 of 187
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to write 2 checks a month. Water bill and rent.  They don't take CCs at either. 100% credit cards besides these two. 

Message 69 of 187
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am actually annoyed by the things that I can't pay with my CC. Rent, electric, water, car insurance, life insurance, and STUDENT LOANS (that one really bothers me). I wish there was a way to push a student loan payment from CC to my loan servicer like I could do with my bank if I wanted. I could be getting so much more each month in rewards if I could pay these things with my card. Right now the only things that auto charge to my card are my phone bill and cable bill.

Message 70 of 187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.