cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you really put EVERYTHING on your credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you really put EVERYTHING on your credit cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep. Like a lot of us, my parents don't seem to get it (they didn't use credit responsibly when they were my age) but I've actually found it to be liberating. Even rent goes on the CC now (the processing fee is basically just a convenience fee in my mind for not having to find a check and a stamp). 

My parents are the same way. They have filed BK three times that I know of (since the 80s) and have always been irresponsible with credit. If they knew that I use CC for my routine monthly spends (which they don't, b/c I don't share my finances with them) they would tell me all about how credit cards are evil and how I am going to lose everything b/c I am using the evil CCs. Ugh. Reminds me of that old Will Smith song, "Parents Just Don't Understand."

Message 81 of 187
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely put everything on mine including rent.  The only outlier is my auto insurance which is just cheaper to pay by EFT since it is built inito one of their discount programs.

Don't know how I'd make some of these spend bonuses without being able to charge my rent...LOL.  But it is definitely a PIF situation since it's a standard expense.  Garners some great rewards values.  The next few months it will be on the Venture, so a lot of 2X miles for meeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

My father is a CPA, so he doesn't really get why I'm doing things this way, but he loves his PRG MR points, so the value of CC spending/PIF/rewards lifestyle isn't completely lost on him.  I think he just assumes I'm going to drown myself in debt.  But once I showed him my tracking spreadsheets (balances, CLIs, utilization, etc.) he kind of got it.

You'd think I wasn't knocking on 40 with my own family the way he gets involved...LOL.

Message 82 of 187
blessed-man1980
Contributor

How  to make car payment with CC ..Honda 

Message 83 of 187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blessed, redbird is your friend.
Message 84 of 187
Jpmack29
Regular Contributor

About 80-90% of the time. And pay in full each month. I want rewards Smiley Happy
Current (8/2015): Equifax 688, Transunion 689, Experian 708
Goal Scores: 700 across the board

Capital One Venture: $5500| Discover it: $4500| American Express Green Card: NPSL| Capital One- QuickSilver: $3000| American Express Everyday Card: $2000| Bank of America- Americard Cash Rewards: $1500 | Barclays Cash Rewards: $1300| Chase Freedom:$1200| Barclays Apple Rewards: $2000
Message 85 of 187
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never had issues with a CC when the number has been stolen. Everytime I've had a fraudulent charge I let the CC company know and in the end I wasn't liable for anything. After the Target breach I saw a $2000 pending charge at Best Buy but that never even made it past pending. Besides, I don't carry all of my CCs in my wallet.

I use a CC for everything I can. I do try to keep cash for just incase and to make purchases at smaller shops that could likely do without the swipe fees.

Message 86 of 187
Jpmack29
Regular Contributor

Current (8/2015): Equifax 688, Transunion 689, Experian 708
Goal Scores: 700 across the board

Capital One Venture: $5500| Discover it: $4500| American Express Green Card: NPSL| Capital One- QuickSilver: $3000| American Express Everyday Card: $2000| Bank of America- Americard Cash Rewards: $1500 | Barclays Cash Rewards: $1300| Chase Freedom:$1200| Barclays Apple Rewards: $2000
Message 87 of 187
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

I put everything I can on my credit cards, especially my AMEX SkyMiles card. The only bills that aren't paid by CC are auto insurance, auto loan, and rent. Landlord doesn't accept CC's, and the other two charge fees for anything other than EFT. 

I pay all of my charges off in full every month so, I never pay interest fees. Meanwhile I'm racking up miles constantly and for someone who loves to travel, it's a HUGE perk for me. Plus, you have way better purchase protection on CC's and extended warranties on some purchases. It's funny, because my bank statements pretty much only show multiple EFT's to AMEX, lol. I can't really remember the last time I used my debit card...

My dad is the same way - all about the credit card rewards. My mom on the other hand, uses her debit card for everything and strictly believes that CC's are for people who can't afford to use their debit cards. Smiley Indifferent Hence why she always asks if I'm having "money issues" whenever I whip out one of the AMEX cards. 

Message 88 of 187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rent, Student loan and Car payment are the only ones I wouldn't put on credit (for obvious reasons).  Beyond that it'd be nice to have 1 card strictly for Bill Pay/Utilities (maybe Double Cash for the 2x points).

Message 89 of 187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep. Like a lot of us, my parents don't seem to get it (they didn't use credit responsibly when they were my age) but I've actually found it to be liberating. Even rent goes on the CC now (the processing fee is basically just a convenience fee in my mind for not having to find a check and a stamp). 

My parents are the same way. They have filed BK three times that I know of (since the 80s) and have always been irresponsible with credit. If they knew that I use CC for my routine monthly spends (which they don't, b/c I don't share my finances with them) they would tell me all about how credit cards are evil and how I am going to lose everything b/c I am using the evil CCs. Ugh. Reminds me of that old Will Smith song, "Parents Just Don't Understand."

Yeah, it's funny... I don't think my parents have any more large CC debt and they never filed BK (to my knowledge), but their generation definitely wasn't of the PIF-mindset.

I guess it's because CCs were so new and novel at the time that the idea of paying over time brainwashed a lot of people, then led to lots of debt, and ultimately a misunderstanding of how credit can work to your advantage. I know my parents use their cards now for some big purchases and I think my dad loves his Chase Marriott since he travels a lot for work, but if I ever mention putting everyday spend on a CC, I get a "tsk tsk" STILL!

Message 90 of 187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.