Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AMEX pull current credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does AMEX pull current credit report?

Curious, does AMEX pull your CURRENT credit report and score for a new card?

I feel like I might have read they pull about a month behind, but I am not sure.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Does AMEX pull current credit report?

If you're a new customer, it's a fresh report

If you're a current customer, yes they may use the SP report from last month if it hasn't been updated yet

What I would recommend is wait til they process the month's free EX score they provide before applying for any cards if you're expecting a score bump

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir thank you!

You only see their free EX score if you are already a customer, right?

Message 3 of 6
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir thank you!

You only see their free EX score if you are already a customer, right?

Correct. They have two versions now though

One of them is a Vantage score that can be access from Dashboard or by clicking Account Services which is the one you don't want. The EX FICO 08 score is at Account Services -> Profile, from there you should see the option at the bottom called View FICO Score. That one is your FICO score and is one you should care about

Message 4 of 6
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

This seems to be hit or miss, but I would wait if you were expecting a bump and expect either.

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There appears to be some confusion in the replies.

For existing customers, Amex usually makes it underwriting decisions using the credit scores that are pulled when they perform their monthly account review(s). 

The FICO score shown in your online account is not immediately used for underwriting decisions.  This score is usually updated on the first day of each new monthly cycle, or more frequently if you have multiple Amex accounts.  The only way to determine the date Amex does its soft pulls for account review is to either (1) check your Experian credit report, or (b) use the date shown in any adverse action/denial letter you might have received from Amex since the pull tends to occur on the same day each month.

This is the reason why it is usually advised to wait a month after your score updates in your online account before applying; so that a new account review soft pull can occur.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.