Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Citi DC World Elite exists???!

tag
Deuter
Regular Contributor

Does Citi DC World Elite exists???!

Hi guys,

Easy question. I have done a PC from AAdvantage Plat to DC. The DC card i received it's not World Elite MC as my AAdvantage card was. I called in Citi Customer Service and the very professional rep told me she had 22 years working with Citi and that they don't have quite a World Elite option in the Double Cash. Is this true?

If so i do not know how to request from World to World Elite (If it now makes any difference at all?), please pinpoint me what to ask the Agent and which number preferably to call. My AAdvantage WE card had a $10,000 new CL after doing some credit reallocation from $23,500. So now the product changed DC has $10,000 but it says world in the back with a orange,red MC logo.

Please enlighten me guys. I didn't know when PC my account that my account would change from Non- Pre Set spending limi to Pre-Set spending limit and that it would change from World Elite to World. Citi told me i could still go back to the AA card, is the any actual difference now about WE and World? and also does DC WE exists?

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Does Citi DC World Elite exists???!

The DC is frequently issued as World Elite, but I think it's just because Citi wants  the higher swipe fees. As far as I've heard, the World Elite DCs, even when you do recieve them, are not "true" World Elite Mastercards and don't really give you the benefits.

As far as whether to worry about it, no, I wouldn't. There's far more talk about wanting a Visa Signature or World Elite than there is of anyone actually using the benefits. Remember that these once exclusive "tiers" are so common now, it's not like they can really provide many exciting benefits. Presumably you PC'd because you aren't getting good use out of Aadvantage, and the DC is good 2% baseline card with flexible rewards.

Message 2 of 32
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I thought the Elite had the silver bells/balls logo? I thought it did exist because there were usually those who raved about having one but unless you really use whatever benefits distinguish the two, does it really matter? I dont think anyone but you, upon swiping , will care if it says elite or world.  Ill call in big hitters to see if they have anything to add @UncleB  @K-in-Boston  @coldfusion 

Message 3 of 32
thornback
Senior Contributor

The only part of your post I can comment on is whether the World Elite for the DC exists.... and Yes, it does (at least it did as of Oct. 2018) - I have a DC World Elite.   Mine came as a WE when I was approved for the card - never had to request it.  That said - I don't believe the DC World Elite versions actually offer all of the MC World Elite perks...

Unfortunately, I can't speak to the other Qs of your post... 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:

The only part of your post I can comment on is whether the World Elite for the DC exists.... and Yes, it does (at least it did as of Oct. 2018) - I have a DC World Elite.   Mine came as a WE when I was approved for the card - never had to request it.  That said - I don't believe the DC World Elite versions actually offer all of the MC World Elite perks...

Confirm your post. My p/cd Citi DC MC was a World and back in the early days the Citi Rep (located in the Citi Tampa Bay FL Call Center) found the World Elite and changed mine over. After getting it I found that there were few benefits not already available on the original issue. What are mandated benefits by Tier today are few and issuers can put the name on it collect a higher swipe fee and offer virtually nothing! A good thing for the issuer! Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 32
Deuter
Regular Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

As far as whether to worry about it, no, I wouldn't. There's far more talk about wanting a Visa Signature or World Elite than there is of anyone actually using the benefits. Remember that these once exclusive "tiers" are so common now, it's not like they can really provide many exciting benefits. Presumably you PC'd because you aren't getting good use out of Aadvantage, and the DC is good 2% baseline card with flexible rewards.

That's true i wasn't getting a good use of the AAdvantage card because i now have the Prestige for travel and i have changed from flying exclusively American to a diverse plethora of carriers, and also because of Covid scenario it seems more sensible to cut a Travel card which i wont use much for the rest of the year and possibly part of next one. Also it was my Oldest account that is why i wanted to change it to a Non AF.

The thing is that these tiny nuissances where also a bit important for me. For example with World Elite i used to contact MasterCard Lifestyle & Travel services and they will always issue me status with Car Rentals (Hertz,Avis,Sixt) etc. They (MC) have told me this was a benefit of WE. I still have this benefit from the Prestige but i'm curious. I have status with Sixt and Avis because of this and while it's not top tier they have treated me a bit better with the rentals worldwide. 

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

I thought the Elite had the silver bells/balls logo? I thought it did exist because there were usually those who raved about having one but unless you really use whatever benefits distinguish the two, does it really matter? I dont think anyone but you, upon swiping , will care if it says elite or world.  Ill call in big hitters to see if they have anything to add @UncleB  @K-in-Boston  @coldfusion 

I know there's practically no discernible benefit from both but was a card geek just for cosmetically reasons it would be a nice touch to have the silver logo/wording if everybody has it? why my card shouldn't? 

@thornback wrote:

The only part of your post I can comment on is whether the World Elite for the DC exists.... and Yes, it does (at least it did as of Oct. 2018) - I have a DC World Elite.   Mine came as a WE when I was approved for the card - never had to request it.  That said - I don't believe the DC World Elite versions actually offer all of the MC World Elite perks.

Thanks, that is appreciated. Any know if from 2020 or recent they have such WE DC?

Message 6 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Tier preservation doesn't seem to be a priority at Citi!   A few years back, I PCd an (old style) Premier Visa Sig and a World Thank You Preferred to Citi DC and Dividend.    Both DC and Dividend were issued as plain M/Cs (not even World).   About a year ago, the DC suddenly became WE, without me asking.  Dividend is still plain.

So, as everyone else has said: a) WE DC certainly exists, but b) it doesn't have most of the benefits!

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm so oblivious to this feature that I didn't even notice/care that my PC from AA WE to DC, that it's just MC World. So now the only WE I have is the KLM MC. Which suits me fine, I don't need false sense of added benefits in favor of them getting higher swipe fees.

Message 8 of 32
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

I have mine out right in front of me as I type this, and it does have the silver balls logo on the backside lower right with WORLD ELITE printed right above it. 

The comments after yours that point out most World Elite benefits don't exist for this card are correct, which to me isn't much of a surprise given that it's a no-AF card.  Count me as being cynical but IMO Citi's motivation for issuing it is so they can collect bigger swipe fees. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Count me as being cynical but IMO Citi's motivation for issuing it is so they can collect bigger swipe fees. 

I don't think that is being cynical, what other motivation is there for any issuer?   And if, as Citi has done, you can get higher swipe fees without providing many of the dubious-value benefits, even better!

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.