cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does any one else get annoyed being asked if they want to open a department store CC at check out?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does any one else get annoyed being asked if they want to open a department store CC at check ou

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's OK to get annoyed by this question constantly and that this annoyance prompted the OP to start this thread.  The OP even said that they know it is the employee's job to ask.  That doesn't make it any less annoying though.  I feel bad for the uninformed 18 or 19 year olds that don't know any better and just hear "save 10% today" or whatever and pull the trigger on the app without even realizing what they are doing.  

THIS is really my point in posting this really. My DD is 22 and did not need or want the cards being pushed. And as I indicated, Macy's was really being pushy about her applying even with me standing there too. We were try to be polite and just say "No Thank you" but that wasn't sufficient in this situation. Thankfully, I have taught my daughter about credit and I know she would have said No even if I had not been standing there. I think all of those "Fill out a survey about your shopping expereinces" on my receipts are now going to be filled out addressing my displeasure in pushing store cards which will then be received by someone who actually can share it with marketing decisionmakers.

I posted this thread for a little light hearted humor and venting. But I am surprised it is still going. 

For those of you who have worked or currently work in retail and have had to ask for CC applications or other upsell techniques, I know you are only doing your job. Retail is a hard job and I don't want you thinking I was angry with the clerks or would be rude to someone just because they asked me to apply for a CC. 

Heh, well I'm a little bit embarrassed to say when I read your post my first thought was: "people still shop at department stores?" Smiley Happy

        
Message 51 of 53
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Does any one else get annoyed being asked if they want to open a department store CC at check ou

Last time I was at Sears, I had to tell the lady "no" at least 4 separate times. She was extremely pushy. But that said, Sears is a dying company and the employees are probably trying to keep their jobs as long as possible, so I get it. It's annoying the company forces them to be so persistent about credit cards though.

Message 52 of 53
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:
It doesn't bother me. When I'm asked, I just say, "10% back on this one purchase is just not enough for me to open a credit card." It's almost as if they agree with me because I get a smile or chuckle, and a "have a nice day" when I'm handed my purchase.

lol. I think it's 5% at Target and I hardly spend $20 there at a time. I'd probably get more money back looking for coins in the parking lot.

Got a chuckle out of this!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 53 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.