Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does being authorized user help to get approvals in future

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Does being authorized user help to get approvals in future

The single best benefit for AU scoring is the potential meteoric increase in AAOA, in my view.

This is the reason why so many...er...dubious credit repair firms offer those with 20 yr+ TLs with perfect history significant amounts of money to add an AU.  Moreover, until Amex stopped this, an AU with Amex was even more valuable since the age became the AUs once he applied for his own card.  There's been countless stories of people selling these TLs at $1,000 a piece.

For anyone building, rebuilding or just new to credit, a few 20+ year tradelines will translate instantly to a 700+ Fico, which will often result in an instant approval for initial apps, thereby bypassing the need for manual review or recon.

Shorter history AUs are much less meaningful.

*Edited*  PS - This ability to "pass on" membership age used to be one of the best attiributes unique to Amex.

Message 11 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It helped my DH. He had been hanging on to his 1 cc for years! I finally added him to several of my cards and he has been approved for cc's that had previously said no. Keep in mind, a clean report helped out but that one cc with a low limit was getting no love

Message 12 of 13
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

I can tell you with Capital One it does for certain (they require SSN). My wife just got her greencard a few months ago and I added her to a few CC as an AU, cap one being one of them. She received an offer from CapOne a few months after being added and she has never applied for any credit and has a thin file. She doesn't even have any bills in her name so I am sure they used the AU information I gave them to make an offer for her. She hasn't received any other offers at this time.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.