cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade, then possibly upgrade back (Amex)

tag
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Downgrade, then possibly upgrade back (Amex)

Is it possible to downgrade a card, and then possibly upgrade again later?

I am planning of dowgrading my Platinum Delta Amex to the no AF Blue Delta Amex. IF I decide that I want the Platinum Delta again in the future, is this generally acceptable? Any suggestion is welcome.

Reason: Planning on getting the Amex Platinum (charge card) next year. I am not into having/overlapping redundant cards with AF. My current AF will hit in a month.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Downgrade, then possibly upgrade back (Amex)

I downgraded my 2015 EDP to ED in 2016, and a year later in 2017 Amex started sending me offers to upgrade (back) to EDP. The website gives me the option, too. No bonus offered (I got one with the EDP initial approval). Not sure if I'd have had to wait a year to upgrade.

Delta Platinum is not very redundant with the Platinum charge card. Free bags and companion pass vs. lounge access. The charge card airfare extras credit can be used for Delta ecerts.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 4
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:
Delta Platinum is not very redundant with the Platinum charge card. Free bags and companion pass vs. lounge access. The charge card airfare extras credit can be used for Delta ecerts.

This is true. The only reason I still keep my Delta card is for the companion certificate. I actually thought the Amex Platinum offers the same companion benefits — I just realized that it was only for non-economy international travel. 

Message 3 of 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

My original Delta Gold card was upgraded to a Delta Platinum in 2016 to take advantage of an upgrade bonus. After getting the Reserve Jan 2018, I downgraded the DP to Delta Blue. Will consider whether to upgrade that later to become the long term Reserve, but doutful since it would take another year cycle to get back to the Companion Pass. I am near the one-year mark with the Reserve.

That Companion Pass is something to consider. If you will be using it regularly, it will not be immediately available when you go from Blue to DP, and as noted having a Delta Gold or DP is complementary to the AMEX Platinum The Delta Reserve is useful if you want the first class companion cert as well.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.