Did you mean: 

EMV Chip Cards

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: EMV Chip Cards

Cdnewmanpac wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

AFAIK, USAA is not offering EMV.  I have asked for it before and was told that they haven't implemented it yet.  Unless this is new in the last couple months.

SDFCU is the best, IMO.

Bank of America gave me the travel rewards card with 0% for 12 months plus 10,000 bonus points.  That was a good deal.

USAA started offering the world mc with emv chip/pin a few months ago. I have one. It works. While USAA charges a 1% foreign transaction fee, this is a small price to pay for those limited situations when you really need chip/pin. Since those transactions tend to be small (train ticket at unattended kiosk off hours or in smaller town, for example), the 1% is not an issue for me.

Thanks, maybe I will call them again sometime.  Except that there are other EMV cards with 0% ForEx fee, some of which I have, so I don't think the USAA would get much use.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 11 of 28
wenbev
New Contributor

came across this article with a list of US cards with EVM chips

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-credit-cards/nerdwallets-best-emv-chip-credit-cards/

Message 12 of 28
jna
New Contributor

Just requested a replacement card with an emv chip for my Amex PRG.I didn't know it's available for Premier Gold card...

Message 13 of 28
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@jna wrote:

Just requested a replacement card with an emv chip for my Amex PRG.I didn't know it's available for Premier Gold card...

Hmmm...that would be contradictory to what AMEX is saying.   This reply I got (04/14/13) from AMEX via secure message from my account when I asked them about it:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX,

I'd like to inform you that as of today, the Chip & Signature feature is available on Platinum Cards.

While we do not currently issue Chip & PIN cards and Chip & Signature feature for Cards other than Platinum Cards, in the U.S., I assure you that we continually evaluate new technology to make our products and services better for you. 

We will notify you about the availability of this feature on your Card as and when we come up with any such developments.

Alternatively, if you wish, you may apply for a Platinum Card online or via Phone.

You may view the details pertaining to this Card by using the below mentioned link and apply for the same online:

http://www304.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Platinum-Card/25330.

You may also call our Apply by Phone department at 877-621-2639, Monday - Friday  (8:00 a.m. - midnight ET).

Please revert to this email in case there is anything else and I'll be glad to assist you with the same.

Have an excellent weekend!

Sincerely,             

Message 14 of 28
jna
New Contributor

Try calling the Amex CSR regarding that.I'll be receiving my premier with emv chip on Tue via UPS.Well,just hope the CSR was right.She said it's a guarantee that I'll be receiving the card with a chip..

Message 15 of 28
jna
New Contributor

Oh just realized it's not an emv chip like with my Hilton reserve card.it's an express payment chip!well, i guess it's ok too!

Message 16 of 28
ma124

My BoA 123 Cash Rewards card comes with EMV without my request

Discover IT; BoA Cash Rewards; Amex HHonors; Amex Platinum; Amex Platinum Starwood; Barclaycard Arrival; Chase Sapphire Pref

Message 17 of 28
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

My gf has a Citi Visa Freedom. Citi upgraded it to a Siggy with an EMV chip without a request so it may be automatic on Freedom Siggys.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 18 of 28
vish1
Valued Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

My gf has a Citi Visa Freedom. Citi upgraded it to a Siggy with an EMV chip without a request so it may be automatic on Freedom Siggys.

Citi Freedom? Did you mean Chase Freedom?

I have NOT heard of that card. May be I am out of touch.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 19 of 28
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

Citi Freedom? Did you mean Chase Freedom?

I have NOT heard of that card. May be I am out of touch.

Oops. I meant Citi Forward.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.