Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engagement Ring.. Blue Nile?

tag
lamplight2012
Frequent Contributor

Engagement Ring.. Blue Nile?

Hello, all. Looking to finance an engagement ring between 2-3K for my lady.

My current stats are

Experian: 654 - 4 Medical Collections

Transunion: 657 - 3 Medical Collections

Equifax: 653 - 4 Medical Collections

Util: 34 % - Should be around 9 % when it reports again.

Which one does Blue Nile pull? & do you think 3K is reasonable to get?

Thanks!

Experian: 693 | Transunion: 700 | Equifax: 690 | Utilization 4 %

EX: 5 | TU: 8 | EQ: 7
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
lamplight2012
Frequent Contributor

Re: Engagement Ring.. Blue Nile?

bump, bump

Experian: 693 | Transunion: 700 | Equifax: 690 | Utilization 4 %

EX: 5 | TU: 8 | EQ: 7
Message 2 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

{deleted as I misunderstood].

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tiffany and co. 

Go big or go home!!

If I were you, I'll save the money and pay off the debt ( your understanding partner will agree too)

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lamplight2012 wrote:

Hello, all. Looking to finance an engagement ring between 2-3K for my lady.

My current stats are

Experian: 654 - 4 Medical Collections

Transunion: 657 - 3 Medical Collections

Equifax: 653 - 4 Medical Collections

Util: 34 % - Should be around 9 % when it reports again.

Which one does Blue Nile pull? & do you think 3K is reasonable to get?

Thanks!

I fully admit I know nothing about Blue Nile. In regards to the ring, I would go with something cheaper. There are two ways to go with that: (1) you get something with fake diamonds in a small setting, and agree with your soon-to-be fiancee that you'll upgrade the ring in a few years once you're on more stable financial footing (this is relatively common on the 5th or 10th anniversary); or (2) go with stones that aren't diamonds. My wife has a honking big sapphire surrounded by tiny diamonds, loves it, and it only cost around $2k. You might be able to get down to the low $1000s just by using sapphires, emeralds, or rubies instead of diamonds. Plus, you can cater the ring more to the tastes of your soon-to-be fiancee, making it much more special than a more generic diamond ring.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Tiffany aren't you paying more for the name than you are for the quality and actual value of the product?

I've always found Blue Nile to sell quality products at the right price, not overpriced for what you're getting.

Message 6 of 28
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I went to my local jeweler and had a custom ring made, Emerald cut VVS 5.xx ct center stone on a platinum simple band, with Tiffany you're paying for the name of the jewelry house like Cartier (not saying their products aren't great just overpriced)

also I'm not sure if comenity Blue Nile UW will be happy about the large number of collections, could go either way!

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with other posters to an extent if we are talking rings $50k+ T&Co stores would be the way to go but for starter range your going to get the most bang for your buck online, also check out Ritani, they partner with local jeweler for free previews etc. They have financing through Sync. 

Message 8 of 28
IgnatiusReilly
Regular Contributor

First off, congratulations.

And since you are soliciting opinions, mine is don't finance a ring. Talk with your fiancee, you will be sharing finances soon enough, and figure out a way to either find an interim solution or wait until you can pay it up front. She will be wearing it for decades so be patient and do it right!

Again, here's to a happy life together.
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IgnatiusReilly wrote:
First off, congratulations.

And since you are soliciting opinions, mine is don't finance a ring. Talk with your fiancee, you will be sharing finances soon enough, and figure out a way to either find an interim solution or wait until you can pay it up front. She will be wearing it for decades so be patient and do it right!

Again, here's to a happy life together.

Let me say it as well, congrats

And, don't finance the ring. You'll regret it. I'd recommend finding a local jeweler where you can see the rings 1st hand, and the stones. I've found that buying jewelry online is a bit tough, especially if you are just comparing specs (the C's) etc. Seeing gems and stones in person will always be better. Also, the idea of looking at diamond alternatives is a great idea, if she's okay with it...

Back to the financing; I'd recommend layaway. Here is why, 1. You're not financing and therefore not spending interest, 2. Depending on the timeframe, this gives you time to pay on it, and plan the day...3. Keeps the ring safe in the jewelers safe, so that your lady cant find early, or it get stolen.

IgnatiusReilly is right, your situation is about change, and adding more to the debt load is something you may want to talk about with her.

Lastly, I only offer all this advice because you asked :-) , otherwise you'da gotten just a "congrats!" 

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.