cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI for those with a secured Discover that won't unsecure, there's a workaround.

tag
chris4434
Established Member

FYI for those with a secured Discover that won't unsecure, there's a workaround.

Two years ago I signed up for the secured Discover Card (with a $1000 deposit). At the time, my only other credit cards were a $100 Macy’s store card and a $300 Capital One VentureOne. I patiently waited for the card to unsecure at the 7 month mark and it didn't. A year passed and it still did not unsecure. During this same period of time my credit score dramatically increased to the upper 700’s. I was given credit line increases on the Macy’s to $6700 and $10,500 on the Capital One VentureOne. I was also approved for the AMEX Platinum, PRG, SPG ($6,700) Delta Gold ($10,000), Chase CSR ($12,000), Chase Freedom ($3500), Chase Hyatt ($5000),  and Capital One Venture ($15,000). 

After two years with Discover I became frustrated and called them multiple times to try and get someone to look into why my card had not unsecured, despite having a stronger credit profile than many people who were unsecured after 7 bill cycles. Each agent and manager I spoke with said they had 0 control over that and the “system” automatically looked at my profile after each statement to determine if it was eligible to unsecure. Obviously there was an issue because I was receiving preapproval mailers and was preapproved on their website for the unsecured card. I was going to just cancel the card but really didn’t want to so I filed a complaint with the CFPB. After a month Discover responded and stated they would be unsecuring my card and send my deposit back. I received the email today stating my card has been unsecured and I’m glad it is but irritated at Discover for not doing anything about it until I contacted the CFPB. Now I can keep the Discover card indefinitely and have it as one of my “foundation cards”.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: FYI for those with a secured Discover that won't unsecure, there's a workaround.

@chris4434wrote:

Two years ago I signed up for the secured Discover Card (with a $1000 deposit). At the time, my only other credit cards were a $100 Macy’s store card and a $300 Capital One VentureOne. I patiently waited for the card to unsecure at the 7 month mark and it didn't. A year passed and it still did not unsecure. During this same period of time my credit score dramatically increased to the upper 700’s. I was given credit line increases on the Macy’s to $6700 and $10,500 on the Capital One VentureOne. I was also approved for the AMEX Platinum, PRG, SPG ($6,700) Delta Gold ($10,000), Chase CSR ($12,000), Chase Freedom ($3500), Chase Hyatt ($5000),  and Capital One Venture ($15,000). 

After two years with Discover I became frustrated and called them multiple times to try and get someone to look into why my card had not unsecured, despite having a stronger credit profile than many people who were unsecured after 7 bill cycles. Each agent and manager I spoke with said they had 0 control over that and the “system” automatically looked at my profile after each statement to determine if it was eligible to unsecure. Obviously there was an issue because I was receiving preapproval mailers and was preapproved on their website for the unsecured card. I was going to just cancel the card but really didn’t want to so I filed a complaint with the CFPB. After a month Discover responded and stated they would be unsecuring my card and send my deposit back. I received the email today stating my card has been unsecured and I’m glad it is but irritated at Discover for not doing anything about it until I contacted the CFPB. Now I can keep the Discover card indefinitely and have it as one of my “foundation cards”.

I'm glad you were able to get your card unsecured, but getting the CFPB involved seems like a bit of overkill. From what I know about Discover's secured card, it does have the ability to unsecure eventually, and for most people it can after 7 months,  but they are under no obligation to perform said action. What exactly did you put in your complaint? I wouldn't call it a governmental issue when a lender won't unsecure your card. 

I think this is more of an example of what not to do. Lawmakers that are in bank's pockets are using information like this to support the neutering of the CFPB's capabilites. The CFPB doesn't exist to fight your battles when you don't get what you want from a lender. They exist to help the little guy have a voice and stand up against the big machine, and to keep banks from destroying the economy with bad lending practices. Valid examples include situations like when BBVA Compass falsely denied all of us accounts because of "failure to verify information" or when you have trouble getting a lender to report a closed account accurately to a credit reporting agency, or when a debt collector will not remove a debt from your credit report, despite having no proof of the debt. All three were legitimate situations that I had to get the CFPB involved in. 

Message 2 of 5
chris4434
Established Member

Re: FYI for those with a secured Discover that won't unsecure, there's a workaround.

I chose other and wrote a short description of the issue. Clearly there was an problem on Discovers end. Like I said, they were sending me multiple preapproval mailers as well as showing preapproved on their website for the unsecured card on top of having a stronger credit profile compared to others who have unsecured automatically. I didn't want to cancel the card and reapply for the unsecured version as it would have a negative impact on my credit for nothing. I also had $1000 tied up in that Discover card for two years, which isn't an issue but it appeared I would never see than money again unless I cancelled the card or got them to unsecure. The CFPB was clearly the way to go as I attempted to directly contact Discover multiple times with no results.

@DeeBee78wrote:

@chris4434wrote:

I'm glad you were able to get your card unsecured, but getting the CFPB involved seems like a bit of overkill. From what I know about Discover's secured card, it does have the ability to unsecure eventually, and for most people it can after 7 months,  but they are under no obligation to perform said action. What exactly did you put in your complaint? I wouldn't call it a governmental issue when a lender won't unsecure your card. 

I think this is more of an example of what not to do. Lawmakers that are in bank's pockets are using information like this to support the neutering of the CFPB's capabilites. The CFPB doesn't exist to fight your battles when you don't get what you want from a lender. They exist to help the little guy have a voice and stand up against the big machine, and to keep banks from destroying the economy with bad lending practices. Valid examples include situations like when BBVA Compass falsely denied all of us accounts because of "failure to verify information" or when you have trouble getting a lender to report a closed account accurately to a credit reporting agency, or when a debt collector will not remove a debt from your credit report, despite having no proof of the debt. All three were legitimate situations that I had to get the CFPB involved in. 

@DeeBee78wrote:

@chris4434wrote:

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine took almost two years to unsecure.  I had originally put up $400 to secure it - which they returned when it graduated.  There was no CLI on graduation - so it stayed at $400CL until some time later in 2017 when I was able to get a $250 CLI on it.  My second CLI (and the last I've been able to get) was $300 in September 2017.  I have been constantly denied since then.  I've never been late, made multiple payments, made single payments, paid the minimum payment and then the whole balance before the statement cut, tried carrying a balance, and also added an authorized user - nothing has changed their mind about me.  The CSR's are super nice and typically very knowledgeable.  This situation perplexes them.  They tell me to just apply for a new card - for which I am denied as well.

The limit on it right now still stands at $1000.  I have multiple cards with 10-20X that limit now.

I agree with others on this site that the secured cards just don't have the same privelages as ones that were fully unsecure from the beginning.  With that being said - the plan is that over the next couple months, I will move any auto-pays from my Discover elsewhere.  After that's done, I will close the account - and then try cold apping for a new card in six months or so.  Hopefully that will "re-bucket" me with them.  Just my 2 cents....

Message 4 of 5
chris4434
Established Member

Yeah I'm still stuck at the $1000 limit which is useless to me and after the whole situation with the Discover card I'm not interested in doing any more business with them. I'm just keeping the line open because the card has no annual fee and multiple years of good history. Chase and AMEX get 100% of my regular spend and I plan on keeping it that way until I get another card for the signup bonus. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.