Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling like pulling the trigger...

tag
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Re: Feeling like pulling the trigger...

I made my move two nights ago.  Approved for BCP and GPR charge card.   Good luck!

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 11 of 35
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@Beane wrote:

You can downgrade to BCE any time before the AF hits if you think you aren't using the BCP enough, but you can't go from BCE to BCP in the first year.

Thanks Beane, I did not know that. I will probably just go for the BCP then, and see how it goes.

Good luck!

Message 12 of 35
enharu
Super Contributor

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

enharu, you think I will be fine for all 3? Or just the chase + amex? What are your thoughts on the quicksilver? I was thinking about getting that card to use for things I don't have bonus categories from my other  cards?

I think you will be fine for all 3.

Just to clarify as well: The BCP AF is NOT waived in the first year. The $75 fee will be charged at the end of the first cycle. If you don't spend much in general, get the BCE. Otherwise, the BCP is a better deal for most people.

use cardmatch to see if there's better sign-up promos for you. https://www.creditcards.com/cardmatch/

Amex has some nice bonuses from time to time that are advertised on that site.

The reason why I suggested charge card is because they're easier to get approved for, and *if* you get declined for BCE, you would still lock in your 2013 MSD if you were approved for the charge card first, and it's SP if denied, HP if approved, for all your future amex apps once you are an Amex member. Personally, if I were you, I will apply for a charge card now, and wait till Jan 2014 to apply for the BCE / BCP. The BCE / BCP will be backdated to Jan 2013 then. So in a way the charge card is somewhat like a backup measure, and there's a 25k MR points sign-up bonus anyways, which you can always use for your vacation Smiley Happy

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Thank you all, I will report back to let you know how it goes...I think I will just go for the amex bcp and chase freedom for now and save the capone quicksilver for later....Going 3/3 might be pushing it?

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

enharu, you think I will be fine for all 3? Or just the chase + amex? What are your thoughts on the quicksilver? I was thinking about getting that card to use for things I don't have bonus categories from my other  cards?

Just to clarify as well: The BCP AF is NOT waived in the first year. The $75 fee will be charged at the end of the first cycle. If you don't spend much in general, get the BCE. Otherwise, the BCP is a better deal for most people.

use cardmatch to see if there's better sign-up promos for you. https://www.creditcards.com/cardmatch/

The reason why I suggested charge card is because they're easier to get approved for, and *if* you get declined for BCE, you would still lock in your 2013 MSD if you were approved for the charge card first, and it's SP if denied, HP if approved, for all your future amex apps once you are an Amex member. Personally, if I were you, I will apply for a charge card now, and wait till Jan 2014 to apply for the BCE / BCP. The BCE / BCP will be backdated to Jan 2013 then. So in a way the charge card is somewhat like a backup measure, and there's a 25k MR points sign-up bonus anyways, which you can always use for your vacation Smiley Happy

I posted my previous reply before I read your response enharu. Wow, what you are saying makes perfect sense! Thank you for the wonderful information, I really appreciate it! Which charge card would you recommend, the PRG? I think that's the one with the 25 MR sign up point bonus. So if I get approved for all 3 cards (fingers crossed) you think I would still be able to apply for the BCP in Jan??

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Message 15 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Also, any order I should app for them in? Maybe chase, amex, quicksilver? Or it doesn't really matter? Obviously I will do them right after the other.

Message 16 of 35
enharu
Super Contributor

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

I posted my previous reply before I read your response enharu. Wow, what you are saying makes perfect sense! Thank you for the wonderful information, I really appreciate it! Which charge card would you recommend, the PRG? I think that's the one with the 25 MR sign up point bonus. So if I get approved for all 3 cards (fingers crossed) you think I would still be able to apply for the BCP in Jan??

Yea I think the PRG is probably the best option.

It's hard to say whether Amex will approve you. What you could do is to apply for these 3 cards sometime mid to late December, and then apply for the BCP during first week of Jan. That way you have a bit more leeway since the Freedom and Quicksilver account will not show up on your CR until mid Jan. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 17 of 35
k0csi
Valued Member

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@Beane wrote:

If you spend more than $2500 a year on groceries I'd for BCP instead of BCE.  I really wish I had.

Depends, what do they consider "supermarkets"?

Just a fun fact ... the liquor store down the street from my house is coded as grocery!   LMAO   I love it.  Was a pleasant suprise.

9-11-13 FICO EQ: 726 - Current EQ FICO: 735 - Goal: 800

------$5900-----------$3800-----------$5500-----------$8000-----------$1100---------$13000----------$4000-----------$7000------
Goodyear Service - $2000, Ford Service $2000, Discovery Furniture $8000
Message 18 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@k0csi wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@Beane wrote:

If you spend more than $2500 a year on groceries I'd for BCP instead of BCE.  I really wish I had.

Just a fun fact ... the liquor store down the street from my house is coded as grocery!   LMAO   I love it.  Was a pleasant suprise.

Wow, nice! That's why I'm a little confused what is considered a "supermarket" and what isn't lol!

Message 19 of 35
k0csi
Valued Member

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@k0csi wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@Beane wrote:

Wow, nice! That's why I'm a little confused what is considered a "supermarket" and what isn't lol!

You kinda don't know until you run the card once and see what it shows up as.  AmEx says what every transaction is coded as once it clears.

9-11-13 FICO EQ: 726 - Current EQ FICO: 735 - Goal: 800

------$5900-----------$3800-----------$5500-----------$8000-----------$1100---------$13000----------$4000-----------$7000------
Goodyear Service - $2000, Ford Service $2000, Discovery Furniture $8000
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.