Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First AMEX Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First AMEX Questions

Hi guys,

I've been building my credit for a few months now and I'm finally getting offers from Amex's preapproval site. I've been waiting to app for my first AMEX until I receive a great bonus offer. I just checked and received the PRG offer for 50k points after $1k spend in 3 months! Annual fee is waived for the first year.

Three questions:

1) How does this offer compare to their others? I was thinking of being patient until the platinum 100k offer pops up.

2) If I take the offer, how long do I have to wait until I can get another AMEX bonus on one of their cards?

3) What's the window for apping for another AMEX without incurring another HP? I've heard 30 days but want to confirm. I'm looking to get another AMEX in January that I can backdate to this year's AMEX.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First AMEX Questions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys,

I've been rebuilding and I'm finally getting offers from Amex's preapproval site. I've been waiting to app for my first AMEX until I receive a great bonus offer. I just checked and received the PRG offer for 50k points after $1k spend in 3 months! Annual fee is waived for the first year.

Three questions:

1) How does this offer compare to their others? I was thinking of being patient until the platinum 100k offer pops up.

2) If I take the offer, how long do I have to wait until I can get another AMEX bonus on one of their cards?

3) What's the window for apping for another AMEX without incurring another HP? I've heard 30 days but want to confirm. I'm looking to get another AMEX in January that I can backdate to this year's AMEX.

Thanks!

1) I'd take that offer, It's awesome. Smiley Happy

2) I got both offers on both cards I apped same day, same hour.

3) 30 days I believe, but I'd do back to back. There is NEVER a guarantee that it won't HP twice or that it won't pull two CRA's off the bat though.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats.  I did read on another post that if it went past 24 hours another HP happened so YMMV

Message 3 of 14
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys,

I've been building my credit for a few months now and I'm finally getting offers from Amex's preapproval site. I've been waiting to app for my first AMEX until I receive a great bonus offer. I just checked and received the PRG offer for 50k points after $1k spend in 3 months! Annual fee is waived for the first year.

Three questions:

Thanks!

No way 30 days. Maybe in old days. If you do it same day. 1 hp. I did in 2 days.  2 hp's. Backdating will gve you 10 months to AA of A Orvwait a year and get 2 years added. 

Message 4 of 14
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

• You are not eligable for a platinum usually unless you have had the gold for at least a year....

• Bonuses are by CARD Type not Amex Relationship (so if another bonus pops up for another card... its fair game)

• Every Application with AMEX will be a HP if approved (unless its the SAME DAY
  • SP if Denied if you already have a relationship (usually)

Message 5 of 14
taxi818
Super Contributor

@JTC403 wrote:

• You are not eligable for a platinum usually unless you have had the gold for at least a year....

• Bonuses are by CARD Type not Amex Relationship (so if another bonus pops up for another card... its fair game)

+1 great response jtc403. Exactly. 

Message 6 of 14
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@JTC403 wrote:

+1

3) For more clarification, if it's your first time, a lot of times people do back to back (Charge card then revolver) and which case it's usually 1 HP as long as the first one was approved. For me it was anyway. After that once you've joined the AMΕΧ family once you apply for another card if it's an approval it's a HP and if it's a denial it's a SP. Typically you have to wait at least 5 days inbetween apps as an automatically security precaution. Though you can still submit an app, it'll stay pending until the 5 day mark.

Message 7 of 14
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@JTC403 wrote:

+1

3) For more clarification, if it's your first time, a lot of times people do back to back (Charge card then revolver). . .

What is the thought process behind one charge card and one revolving card?  I ended up like this (with a Green and a BCE), but is there some strategy to this mix?

Also, other than the higher annual fees and the supposed prestige of a Gold card or a Platinum card, what is the benefit?  I already have a $8900 CL on my new BCE that I can 3x CLI (and then again), and I've got a hefty limit behind my "Pay Over Time" feature within my Green card.  What would a Gold or Platinum do for me?

Pigeye

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 8 of 14
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@Pigeyex wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@JTC403 wrote:

+1

3) For more clarification, if it's your first time, a lot of times people do back to back (Charge card then revolver). . .

What is the thought process behind one charge card and one revolving card?  I ended up like this (with a Green and a BCE), but is there some strategy to this mix?

Also, other than the higher annual fees and the supposed prestige of a Gold card or a Platinum card, what is the benefit?  I already have a $8900 CL on my new BCE that I can 3x CLI (and then again), and I've got a hefty limit behind my "Pay Over Time" feature within my Green card.  What would a Gold or Platinum do for me?

Pigeye

Other than sign up bonus there's no real advantage to having both unless that particular card's benefits are worth it (PRG and Plat). Green is useless. Some people test the waters by applying for a charge card first since they are said to have easier approval requirements.

Message 9 of 14
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

Which card is "PRG?"  Gold?

Why is the Green worthless, if I can either PIF, pay-over-time, and have no AF?

I only did the Green to get back-dating (to 1980!). 

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.