Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Amex card

tag
eyarman128
Established Member

First Amex card

Hello all,

So I'm wanting to get my first Amex card but wanting to know if you think I'm jumping in to soon. I currently have 3 cards and a installment loan. A PNC cash rewards CL of $2k 4 months old a Discover IT CL of $1,800 11 months old and then a NFCU cash rewards CL of $2k 7 months old and a auto loan with a $13k balance left with NF. I did the re-qualify on Amex.com and it showed I pre qualified for the BCP, Gold and the BCE in that order if it matters at all.  What do you think my chances are for approval? 

Current overall utilization is 3%

EX= 797

TU = 747

EQ= 752

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: First Amex card

AMEX prequals are typically pretty solid. Their core cards have the more stringent UW standards, so the fact that you are showing up pre-qualified for BCP/BCE is a very good sign. Your scores look good, I see no reason not to pull the trigger if it's a card you want. It's never 100% guaranteed approval, but I think you probably stand a good chance. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

AMEX prequals are typically pretty solid. Their core cards have the more stringent UW standards, so the fact that you are showing up pre-qualified for BCP/BCE is a very good sign. Your scores look good, I see no reason not to pull the trigger if it's a card you want. It's never 100% guaranteed approval, but I think you probably stand a good chance. 

+1

Message 3 of 10
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I think you have a very good shot. But I would let the youngest card turn 6 months, or at least let your Discover reach one year. You'll probably squeeze out a few extra points.

Message 4 of 10
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I agree that you have a good shot. Your credit is pretty new, so don't expect higher than your other $2k limit, but it will grow. Pick one that works for your spend, and good luck.

Message 5 of 10
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

You should have a pretty good shot at approval. Their pre-approvals are usually reliable. 

Good luck if go for it and let us know how it goes!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 6 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Definitely agree that odds are probably very good.  I would just say to research the cards (asking questions here is fine and encouraged) to find the one that best fills any voids in your current lineup (regardless of preapproval status) and has the rewards type that makes the most sense for you.  For example, it appears your other cards are cash back cards and while Gold may have great return on grocery and restaurant spend when redeemed for travel, if you want cash back as statement credits it's going to essentially be a 2.4% cash back card on those categories which isn't stellar.

Message 7 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Definitely agree that odds are probably very good.  I would just say to research the cards (asking questions here is fine and encouraged) to find the one that best fills any voids in your current lineup (regardless of preapproval status) and has the rewards type that makes the most sense for you.  

And I would go a step further and ask "Why Amex?"  There may well be good reasons but generally look widely for the card that suits your current needs best, which can be from any issuer.

Message 8 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@eyarman128 wrote:

Hello all,

So I'm wanting to get my first Amex card but wanting to know if you think I'm jumping in to soon. I currently have 3 cards and a installment loan. A PNC cash rewards CL of $2k 4 months old a Discover IT CL of $1,800 11 months old and then a NFCU cash rewards CL of $2k 7 months old and a auto loan with a $13k balance left with NF. I did the re-qualify on Amex.com and it showed I pre qualified for the BCP, Gold and the BCE in that order if it matters at all.  What do you think my chances are for approval? 

EX= 797

TU = 747

EQ= 752

How old is your oldest account? 

Your EX is way too high based on revolver ages, so is it a loan or do other two CRAs have older negative on them? 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say your chances are 99% you'll be approved.   I had the same thing with all the cards showing pre approved for so I applied for like 3 of them within the same week no problems got approved for all 3.  

@eyarman128 wrote:

Hello all,

EX= 797

TU = 747

EQ= 752

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.