Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Credit Card

tag
Dawn
Established Contributor

First Credit Card

Now that my 19 year old son (non-student) has become fearful that his previously non-existent credit file will be initiated with a black mark against him (after room-mate bailed on him ... necessitating breaking their apartment lease) we sat down and started trying to get a reasonable credit card for him before it is next to impossible. 

Wells Fargo declined him because of his banking history with them (overdrafts that were covered within 24 hours and a low average balance.) This evaluation didn't even include his more recent overdrafts that were outstanding for a week before they were covered.  Smiley Sad

Bank of America "could not process" with a pre-approval from the web-site and suggested a secured card.

Citi (Plat Select MC) gave him the 30 day notice.

And CapOne Smiley Sad (the only one who has been sending pre-approval offers)  actually gave him a firm approval on-line (card to arrive in approximately 7 days.)  This was my last possible choice, but I didn't want to keep trying for another and have a bunch of inquiries piling up on his report.

I would have him go for a Credit Union card, but our current Credit Union won't issue to him without a co-signer since he doesn't have any existing credit history. 

With an empty credit file, what are the chances that a "live" application with Bank of America would fair better than checking for pre-approvals on-line?

What is the routine with Citi when they come back with the 30 day notice?  Does he have a chance (not being a potentially profitable college student)?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Credit Card

try orchard bank or first premier they are starter card keep a year then dump them..
Message 2 of 13
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

hiya denbar,

I think BoA and Citi declined him because he does not have 2 rev TLs... unless he does?  Too bad they still send pre-quals for people that do not currently meet the quals.  I think he should try for the BoA secured if he can get the cash together for that but if not, not a biggie.  

If you can get him as an AU for one of your cc's for a month and that Cap1 starts reporting soon.... he might be able to recon Citi if that was the reason for decline.  If not... he might be able to get a Hooter card.  After that you can get rid of the AU card and reporting.  He doesn't even need the physical card.

I know Cap1 may have been your last choice for him but it is such a foot in the door... it really is.  Let him know you are proud of that for sure!  People do get denied for it afterall... and they are no way uber sub prime.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 13
nathan
Frequent Contributor

You may try orchard, but absolutely not first premier. First premier is one of the worst of the worst out there. I wouldn't recommend it even to my worst enemy.
Message 4 of 13
Dawn
Established Contributor

maxima1 wrote:
try orchard bank or first premier they are starter card keep a year then dump them..

We will keep those in mind if the Citi is a decline and if it looks like BOA was really a decline.  Cap1 wasn't my first choice ... but it has no annual fee and the current APR is 9.9%.  I just warned him that they would not tolerate any sloppiness on his part.

Message 5 of 13
Dawn
Established Contributor

SmartCookie wrote:

I know Cap1 may have been your last choice for him but it is such a foot in the door... it really is.  Let him know you are proud of that for sure!  People do get denied for it afterall... and they are no way uber sub prime.

I know ... I should be thrilled that he at least got a Cap1 without a hitch.  If he keeps his nose clean with this one, it should set him up for the next one, and maybe he can stay away from secured and AF cards. 

Shoot!  Maybe Citi will come through with an approval, but he hasn't received a phone call requesting verification of any information, so I'm not holding my breath.
Message 6 of 13
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

He got a no AF Cap1???  That's really good!!!!  He'll never have to get rid of it... very nice!
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 7 of 13
Dawn
Established Contributor

SmartCookie wrote:
He got a no AF Cap1???  That's really good!!!!  He'll never have to get rid of it... very nice!

That's correct ... no AF ... I guess those pre-approval offers in the mail are worth something.  Smiley Happy   Good thing that when I did the "opt-out" for the rest of the family a few years ago ... he didn't have a file to opt out of yet.  Of course ... as soon as he's set with a few decent cards, I will speak to him about the opt-out thing for himself.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 (despite all the bad press) has been okay for me.  They run the gamut of product (starter to excellent) so getting in with them is not a bad move IMO.  Try for a gas or Target card (reviewed every 3 months and can convert to a Visa).  Exxon will probably issue him a very low limit card ($100) but they are managed by Citi and 6 months with them can get you other offers.
Message 9 of 13
ccaddict
Regular Contributor

@denbar2003 wrote:
Bank of America "could not process" with a pre-approval from the web-site and suggested a secured card.

That may be a really good option actually.. considering he can graduate later.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.