Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First credit line decrease (Barclay)

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

First credit line decrease (Barclay)

The credit world can be a roller coaster. I've had highs, I've had lows, I rebuilt to highs and now it's going downwards. The COVID/economic situation hasn't been good for me. My card balances have been increasing. I used to always PIF. Now it's minimums and maybe a little more. No missed payments. I received my first CLD this week. It was on my Barclay Rewards card. They shaved $2200 off of the limit. Reasons given were -

Proportion of balances to credit limits too high on revolving accounts

Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high - this is for a car loan I've had for a year. Paid a another car loan off just before this one.

What surprised me is they only did it to one account. It went from $5400 to $3200. I still have an Apple Rewards card with an $18K limit.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: First credit line decrease (Barclay)

BarclayUS being BarclayUS, it's no secret that they can be quick on the trigger. 

Sorry you experienced this.  

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@masscredit  sorry this happened to you. 

Does that card have a balance right now? 

If it does, CLD will affect your utilization even more, so you might want to check if you have any existing BT offers. 

Message 3 of 18
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear this.  Fingers crossed it will come back soon

Message 4 of 18
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

If it does, CLD will affect your utilization even more, so you might want to check if you have any existing BT offers. 

Yes it does. Currently at $2800. I was thinking the same thing about utilization. It makes the situation worst. I doubt they are going to restore the CL anytime soon. I BTed $1300 to the Apple card incase that helps to keep them from reducing that one too. It's a roll of the dice. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 18
JDnyc84
Established Member

@masscredit wrote:

The credit world can be a roller coaster. I've had highs, I've had lows, I rebuilt to highs and now it's going downwards. The COVID/economic situation hasn't been good for me. My card balances have been increasing. I used to always PIF. Now it's minimums and maybe a little more. No missed payments. I received my first CLD this week. It was on my Barclay Rewards card. They shaved $2200 off of the limit. Reasons given were -

Proportion of balances to credit limits too high on revolving accounts

Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high - this is for a car loan I've had for a year. Paid a another car loan off just before this one.

What surprised me is they only did it to one account. It went from $5400 to $3200. I still have an Apple Rewards card with an $18K limit.

Sorry to hear. Barclays is the only lender that's done this to me. Not a single late payment for years and mostly PIF, they sold one of my accounts to Mercury (much better service/more generous CL, though) and slashed one of my limits by a third or so. I look forward to avoiding business with them in the future.

Message 6 of 18
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Yes it does. Currently at $2800. I was thinking the same thing about utilization. It makes the situation worst. I doubt they are going to restore the CL anytime soon. I BTed $1300 to the Apple card incase that helps to keep them from reducing that one too. It's a roll of the dice. 

If I read your initial post correctly, that card is the one they CLD'd.

IMO, they're balance chasing you...and they'll probably do it again once the rest of the balance is paid/transferred, so you'd be wise to take the suggestions above for your own benefit.

FYI, this is quite typical of Barclay. They are among the most jittery CC lenders in the world.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 7 of 18
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

If I read your initial post correctly, that card is the one they CLD'd.

IMO, they're balance chasing you...and they'll probably do it again once the rest of the balance is paid/transferred, so you'd be wise to take the suggestions above for your own benefit.

FYI, this is quite typical of Barclay. They are among the most jittery CC lenders in the world.

I've never experienced that. I thought they reduce the limit to the actual balance when that happens. I'll see if they reduce it any more as I pay it down.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 18
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@masscredit best of luck with turning things around.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 9 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

My experience with multiple balance chasing events is they leave a buffer of available credit over the balance, but yeah, every few months ratchet it down again. None of those were with Barclay, but I would expect them to be the same. It avoids problems with interest charges putting you over limit.  

It continues until it stops, but you don't know when it stopped until you go several months with no more CLD.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.