Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flight cancellation coverage by CC

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Flight cancellation coverage by CC

I am looking for the CCs/reward cards that can cover flight cancellations (domestic or international, cancellation due to e.g. weather but not personal matters) while using the CC/rewards card to purchase the ticket from airline or the ther places. Chase FU seems to have this option before but when I checked it recently, I could not find such travel protection.

Some travel card CCs with high AF might provide this option. The only card that I have with AF is PRG and it seems that it does not cover this part. Any suggestion? Shall I go for a travel CC card with AF to get this coverage?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Flight cancellation coverage by CC

Yeah, AMEX for all its benefits the trip insurance aspect is very lacking. If you're looking for travel/flight/hotel insurance probably can't go wrong with the CSP ($95 after first year) or CSR ($450). It's why I decided to get the CSR myself recently.

Message 2 of 13
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

A good travel CC should have these coverages otherwise, it would be difficult to count on only MR points.

It seems that AMEX has these options but a separate enrolment is needed (coverage on delay, cancellation, ...). Not sure whether the enrolment needs to be done before purchasing ticket or can be done afterward, and not sure whether any payment is needed to have these coverages.

BOA PR seems to have these option by default. Looks quite interesting CC while no info on domestic/international coverage, coverage independent of ticket purchasing method (airline, other sites). Any idea?

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 3 of 13
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Chase CCs have the 5/24 qualification rule. Quite far from this qualification

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe the USAA Visa Signature has flight delay insurance. The Ritz-Carlton cc from JP Morgan is another, and not subject to the 5/24 rule. 

Message 5 of 13
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Buying travel insurance via AMEX can be costly and it increases by the flight ticket. I am wondering on the ways that the users should use some AMEX travel cards like Platinum with its high AF or PRG for travels in economical ways to be covered also by insurance. The insurance seems to be applicable if using the AMEX cards for a complete payment (not using MR points). If considering the travel insurance costs, the effective AF of using Platinum for covered travels would be much higher than 550$.

Message 6 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Then the TYP or Prestige card from Citi will fit the bill based on my search.

Message 7 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

I am looking for the CCs/reward cards that can cover flight cancellations (domestic or international, cancellation due to e.g. weather but not personal matters) while using the CC/rewards card to purchase the ticket from airline or the ther places. Chase FU seems to have this option before but when I checked it recently, I could not find such travel protection.

Some travel card CCs with high AF might provide this option. The only card that I have with AF is PRG and it seems that it does not cover this part. Any suggestion? Shall I go for a travel CC card with AF to get this coverage?

Airlines are required to either get you to your destination or refund your money. If they cancel a flight due to weather and don't rebook you or refund you (their choice, usually), you have legal recourse with the airline, not the card. I'm not aware of any credit cards that would insure this scenario.

If you're looking for one that reimburses you for expenses incurred as a result of significant weather delays (hotel, meals, etc), there's several. I know several of the Chase travel-centric cards do, and I imagine other banks have similar offerings. While I can't conclusively say they don't exist, the odds of a no-AF card having this level of travel protection is very low. Expect to pay an AF.

Message 8 of 13
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

My concern is cancellation coverage on multiple flights instead of a round-trip. If a city would not be a major hub, arranging long distance flights with reasonable lay-over and cost can be difficult. Therefore, instead of booking a round-trip, it might be better going for muliple separated flights. In such cases, if due to weather one of the early flights would be cancelled, the airline would cover only the cancelled flight and the entire of the trip would be in jeopardy. I think, for this specific senario, having a travel insurance coverage by the CC would be helpful (assuming they cover the cancellation of the rest of the flights due to the cancellation of an early flight).

What are the recommendations to have travel coverages, if the city is not a major hub?

Message 9 of 13
pip3man
Valued Contributor

The Citi Prestige offers this benefit and I’ve taken advantage of it. My first trip cancellation claim, I was issued a check of approximately $2k for the cost of the ticket and the other was $500 for a trip delay (which reimburses out of pocket cost in the event of a flight delay). Claim process was painless and straightforward 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.