cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluz App Rewards Change - Paypal Key

SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Fluz App Rewards Change - Paypal Key


@UncleB wrote:

As promised I'm circling back to provide data points on how my two Fluz charges eventually posted to my BBVA ClearPoints Visa. 

 

Spoiler alert:  I was pleasantly surprised. Smiley Happy

 

Screenshot_20210210-221037_BBVA United States.jpg

 

The charge on February 7 (at the bottom) was for a 'regular' Walmart gift card.  While the ClearPoints Visa does code Walmart as grocery, I didn't expect a Fluz GC to trigger the grocery category.

 

The charge on February 9 (at the top) was for a Walmart Grocery gift card, which the Fluz support site says would code as grocery.  Since I was looping the purchase through the Paypal Key (debit MasterCard) I didn't know if the original MCC would make the journey all the way to BBVA but apparently it did, since it triggered the ClearPoints grocery multiplier. Smiley Very Happy

 

So, for Walmart Grocery that's 3% with the ClearPoints Visa and 2% with Fluz (via Paypal Key debit MasterCard) for a total of 5%... not too shabby for someone like myself who frequents Walmart.  I still prefer loading up on plasic gift cards at Sam's Club when Freedom and Discover have their warehouse quarters (and using the Paypal Key in-app during Paypal quarters) but this will be useful nonetheless. 

 

Now that I know the correct MCC is passed through to the bank (or at least can be, and at this time) I look forward to seeing what other interesting scenarios might be found. Smiley Happy

 

For those who can't get Fluz to recognize their Paypal Key as debit, here's the BIN for my Key (virtual card): 520593.  I've had the same Key account number since it was first available to me so possibly the BIN they assign for the Key has changed. 


This is awesome news. My local grocery store isn't on Fluz but they've been disappointing me lately and I was going to give Walmart Neighborhood another shot (it's further away and often lacks variety but this is where my current store has been failing as well). So I'm also curious about using these gift cards in store. Do you just read the really long string of numbers of the GC to the cashier? Or hand your phone over? What's the process?

 

The people in my area are basically technically illiterate and I don't want them to think I'm pulling random GC's out of thin air because I don't have a physical card. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MC
Must garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 21 of 25
Credit12Fico
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fluz App Rewards Change - Paypal Key


@SecretAzure wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

As promised I'm circling back to provide data points on how my two Fluz charges eventually posted to my BBVA ClearPoints Visa. 

 

Spoiler alert:  I was pleasantly surprised. Smiley Happy

 

Screenshot_20210210-221037_BBVA United States.jpg

 

The charge on February 7 (at the bottom) was for a 'regular' Walmart gift card.  While the ClearPoints Visa does code Walmart as grocery, I didn't expect a Fluz GC to trigger the grocery category.

 

The charge on February 9 (at the top) was for a Walmart Grocery gift card, which the Fluz support site says would code as grocery.  Since I was looping the purchase through the Paypal Key (debit MasterCard) I didn't know if the original MCC would make the journey all the way to BBVA but apparently it did, since it triggered the ClearPoints grocery multiplier. Smiley Very Happy

 

So, for Walmart Grocery that's 3% with the ClearPoints Visa and 2% with Fluz (via Paypal Key debit MasterCard) for a total of 5%... not too shabby for someone like myself who frequents Walmart.  I still prefer loading up on plasic gift cards at Sam's Club when Freedom and Discover have their warehouse quarters (and using the Paypal Key in-app during Paypal quarters) but this will be useful nonetheless. 

 

Now that I know the correct MCC is passed through to the bank (or at least can be, and at this time) I look forward to seeing what other interesting scenarios might be found. Smiley Happy

 

For those who can't get Fluz to recognize their Paypal Key as debit, here's the BIN for my Key (virtual card): 520593.  I've had the same Key account number since it was first available to me so possibly the BIN they assign for the Key has changed. 


This is awesome news. My local grocery store isn't on Fluz but they've been disappointing me lately and I was going to give Walmart Neighborhood another shot (it's further away and often lacks variety but this is where my current store has been failing as well). So I'm also curious about using these gift cards in store. Do you just read the really long string of numbers of the GC to the cashier? Or hand your phone over? What's the process?

 

The people in my area are basically technically illiterate and I don't want them to think I'm pulling random GC's out of thin air because I don't have a physical card. 


Add the giftcard number to the Walmart Pay App. Then use Walmart Pay to checkout (open the walmart app in your phone and point your camera at the QR code on the checkout kiosk). You can store up to 5 GCs to walmart pay at a time. 

Message 22 of 25
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Fluz App Rewards Change - Paypal Key


@Credit12Fico wrote:


Add the giftcard number to the Walmart Pay App. Then use Walmart Pay to checkout (open the walmart app in your phone and point your camera at the QR code on the checkout kiosk). You can store up to 5 GCs to walmart pay at a time. 


+1... This ^^^ exactly.  Smiley Happy

 

It's completely friction-free, which is the only reason I'm willing to embrace it.  Even better, Walmart Pay will tell you what your remaining balance is on the card (you don't have to keep up with your last receipt).

 

One note... if you're planning to use Walmart/WM Grocery gift cards you purchased from Fluz at Sam's Club you'll have to interact with the cashier, since the Sam's Club app doesn't let you pay with gift cards in-store.  At my Sam's Club they don't seem to mind printed eGift cards (or at least the one time I used one it wasn't a problem) but I have no idea how they would feel about scanning a bar code from someone's phone.  I suspect it would depend on who you get.

Message 23 of 25
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Fluz App Rewards Change - Paypal Key

Appreciate the prompt responses as always @Credit12Fico @UncleB. You just reminded me why I stopped shopping at Walmart years ago! Their resistance to tap-to-pay services such as Apple Pay really get under my skin. Forcing people to use their proprietary app so they can keep track of who is spending in their stores is still an annoyance and an abhorrant misuse of people's personal information to sell their data to ad companies.

 

However, you are making it sound like it has become more convenient than it used to be...perhaps I will give them another shot to impress me. I'm willing to forego some privacy for monitary value and convenience.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MC
Must garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 24 of 25
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Fluz App Rewards Change - Paypal Key

As promised, I have some more info.

 

First, the MCC from Fluz is definitely being passed to my Wells Fargo Propel.  The Propel doesn't have a grocery multiplier, but they did recently have a promo for 10x points on a single grocery and gas transaction (limit 4000 points combined) and my $200 Walmart Grocery gift card purchase via Fluz triggered the 2000 point bonus as I was hoping.

 

Also on the WF Propel, a purchase of a Walmart Cafeteria GC triggered the restaurant multiplier:

WellsFargoFluz3x.png

 

This isn't extremely exciting in itself, but since the Propel is an Amex and the purchase coded as a restaurant I would expect it to be the same for other Amex-branded cards (of course YMMV... a test purchase would be prudent).

 

The other test I did was for Discover via the Paypal Key.  The transaction took forever to post since it has to post to the Key, then it has to post to Discover, but so far it's looking like it will work.  I don't know for certain yet if it's going to trigger the 5x grocery quarterly category, but I'm hopeful:

 

Screenshot_20210223-062357_Discover.jpg

 

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.