Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas Cashback CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gas Cashback CC

Are there any other cards that offer 5% cashback for gas?  What I have for gas CC is the USAA Amex cashback but since its Amex, it won't work for Costco gas.  I've seen Ducks Unlimited from FNBO.  PenFed Platinum Rewards offer 5 points but its actually 4.25% according to reviews.  Costco CC offer 4% on gas.  Any other CCs?  Just wondering....

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gas Cashback CC

Ft Knox CU Visa is 5% on gas,

Ducks Unlimited CC (from FNBO) us 5% on gas and sporting goods and gives a small amount to wildlife conservation.

I applied for the NRA card last year (basically same as Ducks Unlimited but NRA cobranded, also with FNBO). I had 3 inquiries at the time, 2 from the same CU: one for becoming a member and one for opening a CC. Even though I called the other CU and discussed it with them and they agreed it should have been a single pull and had the second removed...FNBO still denied me for too many inquiries. They said they'd have to do another hard pull to verify the removal of the other one Smiley Mad

So if you have more than 3 hard inquiries I suggest going for the Ft Knox Visa
Message 2 of 30
Appleman
Valued Contributor

USAA had 5% back on gas as an offer on a few cards but believe it has fallen off for my Rewards and CB USAA cards.

Discover has a rotating 5% on gas (1 quarter a year).

I have the PenFed CB that has 5%.

Not sure who else has 5% CB

Message 3 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The Citi Costco Visa is one of the very few cards, if not the only card, to recognize Costco gas as eligible for a gas bonus category.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

About Costco gas: it's probably best to not cheap out on gas and make sure you go to top-tier stations.

Also I'm pretty sure they PenFed gas card gives you 5x in the form of PenFed points which are worth less than 1 cent per point for cash and I believe 1.25 cents per point for travel through their portal. Arguably, a straight 5% cash back card is a better deal (I'm not sure how good the prices are through Penfed's portal anyway).
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got denied for ducks unlimited with too many inquiries. My sams club mc gives 5% upto the first $6000 in gas at sams Walmart ( where I mostly fill up). It comes out to $500/mo in gas budget and I  spend average $300-350 per month in gas. 

After $6k it’s 1% only. 

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA has a Cashback Rewards card that gives 5% back on fuel spend of up to $3000 annually, but that's also combined with any other base/post purchases as well.

Message 7 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
About Costco gas: it's probably best to not cheap out on gas and make sure you go to top-tier stations.

Also I'm pretty sure they PenFed gas card gives you 5x in the form of PenFed points which are worth less than 1 cent per point for cash and I believe 1.25 cents per point for travel through their portal. Arguably, a straight 5% cash back card is a better deal (I'm not sure how good the prices are through Penfed's portal anyway).

If you're referring to gas that meets the TOP TIER™ standards, then Costco gas has that certification.

If not, what is your basis for saying Costco gas is bad?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ft Knox CU Visa is 5% on gas,

Ducks Unlimited CC (from FNBO) us 5% on gas and sporting goods and gives a small amount to wildlife conservation.

I applied for the NRA card last year (basically same as Ducks Unlimited but NRA cobranded, also with FNBO). I had 3 inquiries at the time, 2 from the same CU: one for becoming a member and one for opening a CC. Even though I called the other CU and discussed it with them and they agreed it should have been a single pull and had the second removed...FNBO still denied me for too many inquiries. They said they'd have to do another hard pull to verify the removal of the other one Smiley Mad

So if you have more than 3 hard inquiries I suggest going for the Ft Knox Visa

Which CRA do FNBO pull?

Message 9 of 30
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Fphantom- FYI Costco gas is top tier, and is almost always pulled from BP or ExxonMobil racks
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.