cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General credit card limit questions

tag
prpecp

General credit card limit questions

Is 50k about the max you can get on a cc, non amex?

How hard or how long would you have to be with a company before you get limits like that?

Does it make any sense to keep a credit card with a 1k limit when you have one with 18k? Don't that pull the average down or is it a non-factor?

The wife and my income hovers around 140-150k together a year, verifiable via w-2 or paystubs, etc. 

I just want to maximize the cc limits the best I can....I appreciate any help.....

Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Re: General credit card limit questions

No. I recall FinStar was approved for a $70k CL for a UNCFU Visa Elite sometime last year (http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Big-Kahuna-Approval-UNFCU-Visa-Elite-70-000-Ot... I recently read that someone had a $60k limit with Discover. I'm just a hair over $50k with Discover. 

How hard or how long would you have to be with a company before you get limits like that?

You can read FinStar's experience with that approval. I got my Discover card in 2012, but it didn't really grow exponentially until the last year.

Does it make any sense to keep a credit card with a 1k limit when you have one with 18k? Don't that pull the average down or is it a non-factor?

You should keep cards that meets your needs (and only you can determine that). If your $1000 CL card gives you rewards that none of your other cards provide, then it totally makes sense. Perhaps I'm missing something, but average CL is not something that is considered in FICO scoring. 

Utilization, however, is far more important. It considers both the utlization on an account as well as your overall utilization.

Check out this great post on closing CC and the impact of doing so: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

Hope that helps.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with iheartwings. You should keep and use the CC that meets your needs, regardless of what CL is. no one is able to tell what your CL is by looking at your card. I don't worry too much about util either as long as its under 20%. I haven't ran into issues not getting the best rates on 3 mortgages and 2 car loans by hAving a score around 750. Was told by numerous LO that 740+ is usually good enough to get the best rates.
Message 3 of 8
prpecp

Thank you for the info, it really helped!

Merrick bank gives me nada so I will get rid of it. I just got it because of rebuilding. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The NFCU flagshipRewards goes to $80k.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything over 25k is too much on a card. Is anyone actually going to charge over that in one month and not pay the bill in full? That's a lot of interest Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ not necessarily. For anyone that owns businesses a $25k card is almost necessity. Also, plenty of people travel for work and need $10k for a week (which doesn't include their personal expenditures) and just get reimbursed the work travel. Why pay it off 3x a month when you can just have a good limit. If you're getting consistent $25k card limits as your SL (not with CLIs) then you have the income to support it in MOST scenarios (minus cap1 and NFCU)
Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@prpecp wrote:

No.  Max depends on the creditor/product and your credit profile.  There are certainly those who have more than $50K but the creditor/product has to have a higher max exposure than $50K and the person's credit profile and income have to qualify for such a limit.

@prpecp wrote:

It's not just a matter of time.  If you qualify when applying then you could get it right away.  The requirements are going to vary from creditor to creditor so we can't give you a hard set of qualifications.  The generally known factors are all we're aware of.  You'd need perfect Payment History, low Revolving Utilization, a longer AAoA, new accounts that are under the creditor's risk toleraance for your credit profile, etc.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

@prpecp wrote:

Your call to make based on your needs/wants.  I find my lower limit cards ot be of use even though I have higher limit cards.  Both of my highest limit cards actually see very little use.  Limits are not the only consideration when it comes to whether or not to keep a card.  Average credit limit isn't really a consideration for creditors.  Creditors do not simply match limits.  The limit or CLI you qualify for depends primarly on your credit profile and income at time of consideration.

Limits factor into Revolving Utilization which itself factors into Amounts Owed.  They're just one factor among many and this only covers FICO scoring.  Score is just one consideration for a creditor.  The creditor will consider your entire credit profile versus the product's underwriting critiera.

@prpecp wrote:

I just want to maximize the cc limits the best I can....

For what purpose?  You can certainly request CLI's up to the max that you qualify for with a given creditor/product if desired.  However, it's not so much limits as Revolving Utilization that matters.  Since RU = balance(s) / limit(s) you can also drop your balances.

@Anonymous wrote:

Anything over 25k is too much on a card. Is anyone actually going to charge over that in one month and not pay the bill in full?

Too much is for each to determine as it is a subjective matter.  Never assume that too much for you is too much for everyone.  Everyone does not have the same needs, income, budget, spend, priorities, prefernces, goals, etc.  Business people were pointed out above as just one example.  My father-in-law has a number of rental properties and his spend can easily exceed 25K.  I don't understand your latter sentence as a limit over 25K and paying in full are not mutually exclusive.

Don't just look at limits as how much you intend to spend.  Consider Revolving Utilization and all other factors.  While my 32K cards don't see much use they play a part in allowing me to keep my Revolving Utilization at 3% without micromanaging reported balances and even while carrying balances on 0% offers (which I need to eliminate).

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.