cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a credit card with no credit history.

tag
brother7
Established Contributor

Re: Getting a credit card with no credit history.

I agree with SevenNEW. Secured cards are for REbuilders, not new builders. Go for the student cards.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 21 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting a credit card with no credit history.

I have seen numerous folks with no credit come to the boards and inquire why they get turned down for student cards.

In today's era, especially since the CARD Act was passed, students are faced with more denials than ever before.

I stand by my earlier advice. It is well documented on the auto loan forum that a lack of installment history leads to higher apr on car loans for first time car buyers.

Also, secured loans and cards are a safe option for a student because if they run into financial trouble they can close the account and use the deposit to cover any outstanding charges. It is so much easier to lose good credit when you are a student, and I like to see people hedge those risks with a small deposit. Also, secured cards do graduate usually, and will grow which is better than getting a toy limit card that never grows.

Best of luck to the OP!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.