Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting back in with Citi after charged off

tag
tom3
Established Member

Getting back in with Citi after charged off

Hello,

I would like some advice if at all possible. I once had two Citi credit cards that fell into collections and were charged off. However, enough time has passed now that these have fallen off of my report and my FICO scores have improved. (Equifax 826, TransUnion 808 and Experian 785). I never repaid them. My question is, When do you think it would be a good time to apply for another credit card? I don't want to waste in hard-pull just to get decline. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting back in with Citi after charged off

@tom3, while this may be a YMMV scenario, I tried earlier this year to get back in with CITI after burning them in a Chapter 13; my bankruptcy is long since discharged and there is no record of CITI anywhere on any of my reports.  Yeah, about that, they denied me for even a secured credit card and hit me with a hard pull at the same time.

My bet is, if you do apply, you'll get the same treatment.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@tom3 wrote:

Hello,

I would like some advice if at all possible. I once had two Citi credit cards that fell into collections and were charged off. However, enough time has passed now that these have fallen off of my report and my FICO scores have improved. (Equifax 826, TransUnion 808 and Experian 785). I never repaid them. My question is, When do you think it would be a good time to apply for another credit card? I don't want to waste in hard-pull just to get decline. 

I think you answered you own question. Citi, Chase and AMEX and a few others have a long memory. Least AMEX will do an invite to a few selected for a second chance with the Optima card. Some have paid back all they owed and still no one answered the door when they knocked. Your scores are nothing to fret about. There are other cards out there.

Message 3 of 6
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@tom3 wrote:

Hello,

I would recommend no earlier than 7 years as in my case when I burned them on my BK7 DCd in 2011 and got back in 7 years after in 2018. 

Good Luck! 

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 4 of 6
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

If OP pays back the full amount owed will that help him/her to get back in? If so then perhaps since it's been greater than 7 yrs maybe they'll be a bit more forgiving.

Message 5 of 6
Michizane
Regular Contributor

Only way to know is to apply...But from what I've heard, Citi has a long memory...especially if you burn and don't pay them back. For me, I have a $500 CL Citi Best Buy card get charged off 2 years ago (settled for a lesser amount) and they refused to give me any CLI's on my Citi DC card I've had for 6 years until about a week ago. 

Not sure if I'm still blacklisted for new cards tho.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.