Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting my first CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting my first CC

I'm 24 years old and I'm looking to build my credit score, I have some dental work I'm getting done in a couple weeks and I was thinking it'd be a good idea to start working on my credit score by paying my dental bills with a credit card. I already have the money for the procedures so paying off a balance isn't an issue at the moment. 

Currently I have a TU score of 645 (according to Credit Karma...), but I don't have any other scores. I'm not crazy about having a secured card because I would rather not have to put down a deposit, so the discover IT is not my first choice.. That being said, what other cards would you all recommend? Capital One quicksilver/platinum seems to be what every website I can find recommends, but I'm the type of person who likes to know all his options so if someone could clue me in I would be very grateful Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Getting my first CC

Have you checked the major lenders to see if you are pre-qualified for any cards? I would start there first. 

Where are you getting your TU score from?

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just checked with Chase to see if I prequalify since I have my checking account with them and I got this message, 
"We are unable to locate any offers for you at this time.

This may be because you have opted out of "pre-screened" offers from Chase and other companies or you have recently responded to another offer from Chase."
from what I understand Chase's cards are designed for people with more established/better credit than what I have, which is probably why I'm not getting any offers. 

I haven't checked with any other banks/lenders though. Who are considered to be the "major lenders", exactly? ..sorry for the noobie question. 

And I'm getting my TU score on Credit Karma 

Message 3 of 21
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Ok. That's not a real credit score from CK-yours could be way higher, or lower. To get your score for free, look into Discover Scorecard, that should help you out a little Smiley Happy
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh, ok. I'll check it out. Thanks. I'll post back here when I get an actual score

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, according to the discover scorecard, I don't even have a score. 

Edit: I had an auto loan in 2013 which was paid off in 4 months, according to CK that was reported to TU. Other than that I have had zero credit reports/loans, so it makes sense that I don't have an actual score I suppose.

Message 6 of 21
jl4
Established Contributor

That would make sense. I had trouble with the DGF about something similar. Discover Scorecard couldn't find her information even though she existed and actually had a credit card. We went to Capital One and they approved her, even though both Scorecard and Experian directly couldn't pull her stuff. Give Capital One's pre-approval page a go and see what they spit out. 

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 7 of 21
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I would first get your real FICO scores CK is nice for monitoring but their scores are worthless. You can always go to the pre qualify sites for Cap one,discover, citibank and Chase and see if you meet their criteria. Good luck
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Well, according to the discover scorecard, I don't even have a score. 

Edit: I had an auto loan in 2013 which was paid off in 4 months, according to CK that was reported to TU. Other than that I have had zero credit reports/loans, so it makes sense that I don't have an actual score I suppose.

If the loan was reported only to TU that's why the discover scorecard doesn't give you a score because they pull from experian. Try other prequal sites to see if anything non secured pops up. Try discover's as well. But more importantly if you see that your credit report is clean on TU(check credit karma to make sure for things that you may not be aware of), research which banks pull TU and apply to them. If your TU has only the loan with on time payments and nothing else your FICO might be higher than what credit karma gives you. Even if it's not that's only positive information and you'll most likely be approved for an entry level unsecured card.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to apply for the capital one platinum (unsecured) card. I was approved, but only for a $300 credit line. I was hoping for $500 at least, if I got that I could use my card for a cavity filling ($135) and be at 27% utilization but I guess I have to start somewhere...

At least that's what logic and reason is telling me to think. But the instant gratification milennial side of me wants to use this card for my dental work!! (lol, only semi joking..but..)

Would I be out of line at this point in the game to call capital one and ask them for a slight increase in my credit line? or should I just suck it up, pay my dental costs cash, and pay my phone bill ($80/mo) with this card for a few months and go from there?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.