Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting shut down for inactivity

tag
folks19
Frequent Contributor

Getting shut down for inactivity

Hey guys!

Does anyone know which credit card issuers are known to shut people down for inactivity?

How much time of inactivity does it usually take until I get shut down?

Does using my card every 6 months solve this problem?

Does anyone have some more important or interesting information about this topic?

Please share!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Getting shut down for inactivity

Too vague a question per lender. Don't know your lender, lender specific. 6 month usage interval may prevent closure for inactivity.
Message 2 of 17
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@AllZero wrote:
Too vague a question per lender. Don't know your lender, lender specific. 6 month usage interval may prevent closure for inactivity.

I'm asking if there are any issuers that are known for shuti.g people down due to inactivity?

If you're not aware of any, then that's the answer!

Thanks abyway😀

Message 3 of 17
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@folks19 wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

I'm asking if there are any issuers that are known for shuti.g people down due to inactivity?

Thanks abyway😀

Actually that's not the answer. There are many lenders that are slashing limits and closing down outright, but it depends on the lender and other aspects of the card and how the user utilizes his/her card. That is why the poster asked what specific lender you were asking about, too broad of a question.

You always use the search feature here, there have been many recent threads regarding this issue. Enter the creditor and closures and you will get many hits.

@folks19 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@folks19 wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

Thanks abyway😀

I gave your generalized question with a generalized answer.

Message 5 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

All card issuers will close accounts for inactivity, eventually.

The exception may be Annual Fee cards, but then you are paying to keep a card open and not using even the basic purchase capability.  

Making a purchase every 6 months should help, but for a card at a furniture store, or at a youth-oriented clothing store you eventually outgrow, you may find it hard to find something really useful to buy. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 17
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

A safe way is to use a card quarterly - spring, summer, fall and winter. I do this with my cards that stay SD unless used for specific reason, for example my Discount Tire card. It's used every three to four years for a large tire purchase, but that's it. In-between those times I pull it out four times a year and get gas or a candy bar at a gas station. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 7 of 17
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@folks19 wrote:

Does anyone know which credit card issuers are known to shut people down for inactivity?

Synchrony, Comenity, Capital One, Citibank, and Discover have all shut me down for inactivity.

What cards do you have?  Perhaps we can comment on those individually.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

All card issuers will close accounts for inactivity, eventually.

That's basically the answer I would have given, with the "permitted" period varying between lenders.

And there arelots of  issuer-specific caveats as well.  For example, at least in the past Amex won't close a card for inactivity if you are using at least one of their other cards.   Other issuers focus on each card, if that card hasn't been used for X, it might get closed, even if you are using other cards from that issuer.

Message 9 of 17
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@folks19 wrote:

Does anyone have some more important or interesting information about this topic?

{ Maybe Interesting }

Have one CU card 25 years old.  

At least 12 years with no use, and every 4 years they sent me a new card.

I keep thinking they will close it but they never do

{ Also Interesting, maybe  }

I have seen the recommended time frame become lower every year.  I remember it used to be about once a year then every 6 months and last year or two some reported problems at about 5 months.  The "New" recommended number is every 3-4 months to use your card to be sure to not have a problem.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.