Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got an inactivity message from USBank after only 7 months

tag
Winchester2005
Valued Member

Got an inactivity message from USBank after only 7 months

Paid off my card in May 2022, got an email today saying that I haven't used my card in awhile and the account could close.

I was surprised that they would send me this after only a short time of inactivity.

I did treat myself to a sushi buffet, and will let the statement cut and pay it off, but isn't the general rule of thumb to have an account close after like 18 months to 2 years?

Anyone have similar experiences with USBank?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Got an inactivity message from USBank after only 7 months

It really does depend on the lender and how long they will let accounts sit idle. There are datapoints on this topic at Doctor of Credit from a few years ago as a good starting point. Seems to be on average 12 months is given before closing an account out. They are not required to send out notices so that is at their discretion

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/which-banks-close-credit-cards-for-inactivity/

Probably what is triggering this earlier-than-expected closure in my opinion is 1) you didn't mention it but assuming it's a non annual fee credit card because they will keep those open forever as long as the customer is paying the yearly fee, 2) banks wanting to get rid of the dead weight so to speak so those that don't use their cards will free up that credit line for other potential customers and 3) current state of the economy and projected in the future closing inactive accounts as risk mitigation. At least that's the way I see it

Message 2 of 13
Drifter73
Established Contributor

They might be cleaning house after announcing the completion of the Union Bank merger Dec 1st 2022: https://ir.usbank.com/news-releases/news-release-details/us-bancorp-completes-acquisition-union-bank...).

They are still in the process of transfering union Bank cc customers over to the USB app and network.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people got early closure notices for inactivity.

Message 3 of 13
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I recommend using the inactive cards once per quarter to avoid getting closed. I have done this for several years without issue, buying <1$ Amazon GC.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 4 of 13
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I think once every 6 months is good.  I just ran little purchases through my Savor, AARP, and Double Cash.  Back in the drawer they go for 6 more months.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 5 of 13
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Winchester2005 wrote:

Paid off my card in May 2022, got an email today saying that I haven't used my card in awhile and the account could close.

I was surprised that they would send me this after only a short time of inactivity.

I did treat myself to a sushi buffet, and will let the statement cut and pay it off, but isn't the general rule of thumb to have an account close after like 18 months to 2 years?

As someone who has had accounts close due to inactivity, it seems to vary widely between issuers, and even likely the profiles of the inactive user. As far as I can tell, or have seen info regarding, there does not seem to be any common practice followed by issuers. Chase closed my Freedom Unlimited card for inactivity, but called me first, and gave me the chance to keep it open, or transfer the credit limit of that card to my Chase Amazon Prime card. They were very nice about it, but also had one closed by another issuer without notice. Chase also remarked as Closed by cardholder, but I have never seen evidence that who closes a card without a balance even matters. I actually have cards I am currently waiting to be closed by the issuer. I plan to thin the herd, but see no advantage to me closing them. I think closed is closed, and remarks mean nothing. The only score hit I would expect from closure of a 0 balance card, is due to loss of credit limit increasing utilization.

TU fico08=824 06/16/24
EX fico08=815 06/16/24
EQ fico09=809 06/16/24
EX fico09=799 06/16/24
EQ fico bankcard08=838 06/16/24
TU Fico Bankcard 08=847 06/16/24
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couple of questions - which USBANK card, and do you have a checking account with them as well?  Not sure if it matters, but both my wife and I have seperate accounts with USBANK - each of us have checking & Cash+ cards, and she has the Altitude Go!.

We are on the older "Gold" Checking account which is $14.95 per month, but gets credited $14.95 if you have a credit card.

Last time I used my USBANK Cash+ was probably July, but have used the checking account since then.  I'll keep an eye out.

Message 7 of 13
markhs777
Frequent Contributor

Does having a 0% open balance transfer without actual purchases qualify as usage? Always assumed it did but nowadays who knows.

Message 8 of 13
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

@Winchester2005 wrote:

Honestly, my approach is just be glad they gave you a heads up. I know many use their card every 6 months to prevent closures. My take on it all is if a bank or CU wants to keep my inactive business (lol), they can send me a 'warning: imminent closure' text, email, or snail mail (Citi, for me), and, if they don't do anything (Synchrony, for me), then it's a sign from the credit gods that I didn't need it anyway lol. It's business, no hard feelings.

Message 9 of 13
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Do you mean having an Offer of a BT or having an actual balance (be it 0% Int) from the BT?

@markhs777 wrote:

Does having a 0% open balance transfer without actual purchases qualify as usage? Always assumed it did but nowadays who knows.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.