cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC/Orchard Pre selector proven to be Junk?

tag
vish1
Valued Contributor

HSBC/Orchard Pre selector proven to be Junk?

I had no plans to apply for a HSBC (orchard) card but out of curiosity, just tried their pre selector a few days back. It told me that all I can get from them is a secured card. With scores around 700+ and recent approvals from Amex/Chase/US Bank, I was shocked that they would offer me a secured.

Then I read many other people saying this is what HSBC/Orchard show them as pre qualified for so I decided to run a test. I went to the pre selector and started typing junk. Junk name, address, SSN etc and it still said pre-approved for secured orchard.

Good enough to prove that its junk?

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
JaseT
Established Contributor

Re: HSBC/Orchard Pre selector proven to be Junk?

I've played with that preselector for many months. For the longest time it always showed an Orchard Platinum card but now it only shows a SECURED basic card. LOL

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 2 of 17
vish1
Valued Contributor

@JaseT wrote:

I've played with that preselector for many months. For the longest time it always showed an Orchard Platinum card but now it only shows a SECURED basic card. LOL

Gives more strength to my thought that its all crap and offers the same secured card to any and everyone.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 3 of 17
JaseT
Established Contributor

I dislike HSBC with a passion. I closed my wimpy $300 CL Household Platinum with a $59 AF last night. They told me that my credit score only qualified me for a $300 CL....I told them my creditors that have given me $11k-$20k CLs disagree.  Smiley Tongue

Buh-bye HSBC! You won't be getting anymore of my money or business!

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 4 of 17
smc733
Valued Contributor

Yes indeed, the scores in my sig still bring them to offer me secured.  Twice it randomly offered me Gold, but I think this is crap.  My guess is it has a range, and if you're above the top tier, it just defaults to secured.

HSBC/Orchard pre selector is garbage, just like the company issuing the cards.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 5 of 17
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Funniest thing... another poster actually called and spoke with an account manager who told them that they only received a low CL because of their low credit score during the time they applied, but the poster communicated their scores are in the mid to upper 700's.  I guess that punched another hole in HSBC's parachute.  I would have given my paycheck to see the look on that manager's face when they were told the scores!!!  But, of course, they go to Plan-B and give you some other off-the-wall excuse for having a low CL.   Do they "REALLY" assume everyone who applies have a low credit score?!?

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC is one of the worst banks ever, I have had problems with them, and I´m not gonna do business with a company like this, I will not even apply for store cards issued by them, they don´t worth it.

Message 7 of 17
Datx
Valued Contributor

I have heard stories that the pre-selector will offer secured cards only, but if you actually bank with HSBC, it gives you real card offers instead of just the secured one.

Message 8 of 17
JaseT
Established Contributor

@MyCreditStinks wrote:

I have heard stories that the pre-selector will offer secured cards only, but if you actually bank with HSBC, it gives you real card offers instead of just the secured one.

That's true if you try the HSBC preselector. However, the Orchard and Household preselectors have offered cards other than secured.

6/19 FICO SCORES:
Message 9 of 17
smc733
Valued Contributor

@JayRizzo wrote:

Funniest thing... another poster actually called and spoke with an account manager who told them that they only received a low CL because of their low credit score during the time they applied, but the poster communicated their scores are in the mid to upper 700's.  I guess that punched another hole in HSBC's parachute.  I would have given my paycheck to see the look on that manager's face when they were told the scores!!!  But, of course, they go to Plan-B and give you some other off-the-wall excuse for having a low CL.   Do they "REALLY" assume everyone who applies have a low credit score?!?

That was me with the BB Store Card.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.