cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Discover - Bye Bye Cap One (secured)

tag
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Hello Discover - Bye Bye Cap One (secured)

So after all you guys "talked" me into it earlier this week (thanks), I pulled the trigger.

Pre Approved for Discover More, but the App button redirected me to the IT. Got the 5-7 days message, used the backdoor number. The just wanted to verify some of my information.

Approved for $1500 and of course the 15 months 0%. Doing the happy dance now.

Big thanks to you all here. After 7 months in the USA, I am in prime land with ZYNC NPSL and Discover IT

So if only Chase what have a pre approval site also ... Freedom would be a nice addition and round up my wallet Smiley Happy

But I guess it is time to garden for the time being Smiley Very Happy

And CapOne, you will receive a call from me soon. I exchange the plastic you did sent me earlier this year with my security deposit. No need for you any more. But thanks for starting me off

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Hello Discover - Bye Bye Cap One (secured)

@shakalaka wrote:

So after all you guys "talked" me into it earlier this week (thanks), I pulled the trigger.

Pre Approved for Discover More, but the App button redirected me to the IT. Got the 5-7 days message, used the backdoor number. The just wanted to verify some of my information.

Approved for $1500 and of course the 15 months 0%. Doing the happy dance now.

Big thanks to you all here. After 7 months in the USA, I am in prime land with ZYNC NPSL and Discover IT

So if only Chase what have a pre approval site also ... Freedom would be a nice addition and round up my wallet Smiley Happy

But I guess it is time to garden for the time being Smiley Very Happy

And CapOne, you will receive a call from me soon. I exchange the plastic you did sent me earlier this year with my security deposit. No need for you any more. But thanks for starting me off

Congrats!!! lol

Chase does have a pre-approval site, it operates a little differently though. Checks to see if you have any offers in the mail (that you might have missed (at least that is how I think it works)) 

https://creditcards.chase.com/RecentlyMailedOffers.aspx

Also, you don't even have to wait for your card that long, AFAIK, discover 2 day ships the IT card via UPS Smiley Tongue 

Treat it well Smiley Very Happy 

Message 2 of 16
shakalaka
Established Contributor

I will and yes the csr told me, it should arrive latest on Tuesday

I am already loving Discover ...

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before app'ing for the Freedom, work on getting your CLI on your discover. Otherwise, Chase will put you at the same CL as your highest card, and then will probably have to HP later to get it higher.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the Discover! Sounds like you're on your way. As far as the Chase Freedom goes, you're right that it's a great card to have but if you can be patient, they will likely send you a pre-approval in the mail very soon, that's what happened with me after I got my first Discover card 2 or 3 years ago. I think Discover is a great way to transition into playing with the big shots. Plus, unless you plan on traveling this Fall/Winter (airfare or hotels) or shopping a lot at Best Buy or Kohls, the bonus categories for Chase Freedom for this quarter wouldn't benefit you much. I'm actually sock drawering my Freedom just until January, when they should bring back Gas, Groceries, Movies, or Restaurants (or a combination of some of the above) Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
madmann26
Valued Contributor

I've got mixed feelings about closing the Cap1 card.

It's a TL that is reporting green. Are you having to pay anything for it? Have you tried to app for a non-secured Cap1? Just thinking out loud here.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 6 of 16
ninjamike81
Regular Contributor

congrats... discover has been a awsome card for me so far.  already got 13.00 in cash back in 1 week. waiting to get to 50 to lower balance

Starting Score: TU 583, EX 683, EQ 653
Current Score: 10/12/14 TU 743 9/24/2014 EQ FICO 751,12/17/2014 EXPERIAN 772
Goal Score: 750

WALLET: CAP ONE UNSEC $2000, WALMART $3800, CITI SIMPLICITY $3600, DISCOVER IT $2000, BBRZ $2200, AMEX BCE $24,500, CHASE FREEDOM 10,500 KAWASAKI GOOD TIMES CARD $31,500
Message 7 of 16
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@madmann26 wrote:

I've got mixed feelings about closing the Cap1 card.

It's a TL that is reporting green. Are you having to pay anything for it? Have you tried to app for a non-secured Cap1? Just thinking out loud here.

Well I have a non secured from CapOne, which I will keep. The no FOREX fee is nice, when I am in Germany. Discover is not much use there. And even if I close my secured, the total TL will increase (yes, yes I know I took at least one more hit on one or more cr). I have no more use for this card and it will stay on my reports for 10 years.

I have the Zync with a nice NPSL already and in worst case a MC from Germany with a nice TL also. And the secure deposit does not earn any money at Cap One.

And yes, I am in no hurry for the Freedom so far.

Message 8 of 16
madmann26
Valued Contributor

If your comfortable with closing it, then by-all-means, close it. One less card to worry about and you'll get a nice check in the mail.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 9 of 16
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

congrats on youor new card.  To bad you won't have your card by tomorrow. Going to miss out on extra 2 percent cash back all day.  I love the card for the random cash back days.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.