Current Lineup:

Capital One QS: $4,750 limit

Amex BCP: $20k limit

Discover IT: $7,500 limit

Penfed Cash Rewards: $11,000 limit

Chase Freedom: $10,000 limit

Chase Sapphire: $5,000 limit

Chase Slate: $13,000 limit

I seem to have the 5% rotating catagory cards covered (not sure if Cash+ would benefit me too much, especially if it gets nerfed), as well as 5% on gas from Penfed, and 6% on groceries with the Amex BCP. The Chase Sapphire has been demoted to restaurants only, as I could not justify paying the AF for the CSP.

I have thought about the Citi DC, but that only gets me .5% more than my Cap1 QS, and it has a foreign transaction fee with no signup bonus. I'm also concerned it will eventually get nerfed to a 1.5% card...

I've thought about a travel/airline/hotel credit card as I travel frequently, but I don't hold any loyalties to any specific hotel chains.

Any cards you guys think I should look into to round out my reward offerings and to maximize rewards on large purchases? Or should I head over and join the garden?

I'll be doing a close-and-roll with my Chase Slate card in a couple of months.

My current Discover TU Fico is 756. I previously had a Discover TU Fico of 768.

2 inquirys on my reports from the Penfed and Slate card.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help Me Optimize My Rewards

inb4 Sallie Mae

But no, really. Sallie Mae.

Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

inb4 Sallie Mae

2 Sallie Mae's.

/thread.

Message 3 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

inb4 Sallie Mae

Why?

Message 4 of 34
PNW_Hunter
Regular Contributor

I do spend a good amount of money on amazon using my Prime account... that's the only advantage I can see to adding the Sallie Mae unless I go over my $6000 cap on grocery spending with Amex BCP.

Thanks for the replies!

Message 5 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@PNW_Hunter wrote:

I do spend A LOT of money on my amazon prime account...

OK, then the Sallie Mae makes sense, but the groceries and gas you have covered.

If you travel a lot, and want to do some more travel, you might want to look at the flexible point cards such as Amex MR/SPG, or Chase UR if they have partners you can use.

Message 6 of 34
PNW_Hunter
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@PNW_Hunter wrote:

OK, then the Sallie Mae makes sense, but the groceries and gas you have covered.

If you travel a lot, and want to do some more travel, you might want to look at the flexible point cards such as Amex MR/SPG, or Chase UR if they have partners you can use.

Does the Sallie Mae make any distinction between 3rd party vendors or sold/fulfilled by amazon?

Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@PNW_Hunter wrote:

Chase Ink+

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

inb4 Sallie Mae

Why?

Amazon offers everything. Lol.

EDIT: Yes, Barclays does distinguish between those fulfilled by Amazon and those fulfilled by 3rd party vendors. Also, $6000 a year on groceries, while a decent amount, is still pretty easy to surpass when you consider it's only $500 a month on average. Sallie Mae would effectively give you a 50% boost on the amount of groceries you can get 5% on, plus Sallie Mae works at many Walmarts and Targets, while Amex BCP does not.

Message 9 of 34
PNW_Hunter
Regular Contributor

Does Barclays give you 5% on amazon fulfilled orders, 5% on 3rd party vendors on amazon.com, or both? You make a very valid point on the grocery limits!
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.