Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! US Bank "verifying existing account information"

tag
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Re: Help! US Bank "verifying existing account information"

Wow I’m surprised they didn’t ask you to visit a branch to get swabbed for DNA identification!! Lol

All those for a $1K credit??!! IRS 4506-T??!!! Seriously??!!
I would just move on OP. There’s still plenty of lenders out there.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all. Good to hear others find this odd.

My only concern is that they've already opened the account (although with a zero dollar balance). That is to say, if they close it from me failing to provide these documents, will it adversely affect my credit besides for the wasted hp?
Message 12 of 28
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My only concern is that they've already opened the account. That is to say, if they close it from me failing to provide these documents, will it adversely affect my credit besides for the wasted hp?

might say closed by grantor.  the uw is not bad to deal with there, I would have a chat with them to see if they can vacate the account.  have you talked with them at all yet?  this also might just be some sort of error.  I would be inclined to just wait it out.  do you have an online portal and if so what is the cards status?  what are your fico scores and how much total exposure to you have and over how many cards?

Message 13 of 28
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

My only concern is that they've already opened the account (although with a zero dollar balance). That is to say, if they close it from me failing to provide these documents, will it adversely affect my credit besides for the wasted hp?

The account has already been opened, so other than the HP it's likely to reduce your average age of accounts, drop your age of newest account to 0 or 1 months, and remain on your credit reports for up to 10 years.  Have you moved or changed employers recently?  If not, I would second taking a look through your full credit reports for all 3 CRAs (and those of the other reporting agencies; at least the ones that US Bank uses) to make sure that you have not fallen victim to identity theft or possibly just having incorrect information on your reports that causes them to believe that you are not you.  I know it doesn't seem logical, but it's not that uncommon for identity thieves to actually pay your bills on time every month so you wouldn't notice a score drop.

It sounds like a lot of information to give them, but it's certainly not a random thing, and something has sent up a red flag for them to do this.  USB can be a good relationship to nurture as well.

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a ubsured amount of info they're asking for, it's a 1k credit line not a mortgage.
I think I would be tempted to send in a stool sample instead.😝
Message 15 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The account has already been opened, so other than the HP it's likely to reduce your average age of accounts, drop your age of newest account to 0 or 1 months, and remain on your credit reports for up to 10 years.  Have you moved or changed employers recently?  If not, I would second taking a look through your full credit reports for all 3 CRAs (and those of the other reporting agencies; at least the ones that US Bank uses) to make sure that you have not fallen victim to identity theft or possibly just having incorrect information on your reports that causes them to believe that you are not you.  I know it doesn't seem logical, but it's not that uncommon for identity thieves to actually pay your bills on time every month so you wouldn't notice a score drop.

It sounds like a lot of information to give them, but it's certainly not a random thing, and something has sent up a red flag for them to do this.  USB can be a good relationship to nurture as well.

This!   While I get everyone saying that this is absurd for a $1K credit, US Bank isn't doing this because they want to have fun, something looks wrong to them and it's worth OP trying to find out why, whether or not they decide to comply with the doc request.   Might be nothing or could be something that needs attention!

Message 16 of 28
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I wonder if Sage or Lexis Nexus is has something wonky on their reports regarding you. USB is known to pull them as well. It's pretty well known around here to freeze those two reports before apping with USB.
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish they would have sent me a 4506-T when I apped for my Cash+ card because if it were anything like when I had to fill one out for AMEX I would have seen a sizeable increase after they completed their review. USB isn't a lender I would want to burn so I personally wouldn't have a problem throwing the requested documents at them. Ymmv.

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. I called in this morning trying to figure out what was going on and credit card services forwarded me to a woman in investigations. She was incredibly dismissive when I sought some explanation of what was going on so to be honest a frustrating first experience with this bank.

I checked my reports and no suspicious activity. This income point is interesting so thanks for raising.

Other than the time wasted, it seems there's no harm in submitting the documents, right? I'd still like to have access to the account.
Message 19 of 28
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

if you want to keep the card give them what they want, guess everythign is just a pdf away.  good luck, what a pita

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.