cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help....Which Credit Card to Apply For??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help....Which Credit Card to Apply For??

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Which Credit Card to Apply For??

Hello Community! This is my first post.  I've been trying to rebuild my credit for the past year.  I've been reading posts here for the past several months and need some advise about which credit card to apply for?  This is my first credit card in 30 years.  I opened an Open Sky CC with a $200 cl and only have a 1% UTL just to have something to report to the CRA.  Any advise would be much appreciated!

My Scores
Experian Fico 8 - 715 (2 inq from car finance 8/2014)
TransU Fico 8 - 669 (1 inq from car finance 8/2014; 1 inq from NFCU 4/2015)
Equifax Fico 8 - 708 (5 inq from car finance 8/2014)
Income around 65k

Baddies
2 judgments (State Lien) showing only on TU
1 late payment showing on all 3 CRA, but have not been late in 12 months

Credit
Open Sky Secure (opened Sept 2015) - $200 cl/UTL 1% (UTL 1% on Experian & Equifax, UTL 15% showing on TU-hasn't updated yet)
Mortgage - 12 months on time pymt
Car Loan with Cap One - 12 months on time pymt

Other Background Information....
- I currently have pre-approved offers from USAA Preferred Cash Rewards World MC and Capital One Platinum MC.
- I have received offers, but not pre-approved, from Citi Diamond Preferred Card and Discover
- I would really like to apply for Southwest Airlines Premier, Cap One Venture and Cap One QS and NFCU. 
- I have accounts with USAA and NFCU.

Should I apply for the pre-approved offers first...both or just one? Also should I use the pre-qualified page for Cap One to see if I qualify for a different card?  And how long should I garden after I apply for any cards?

I think your best bet would be the Cap One Quicksilver; an all around good card. Great cash back, easy and fast redemption, no fee balance transfers.

I have Cap One auto finance, but only received a pre-approved offer for their Platinum MC, probably because I don’t have credit card history. I will check Cap One’s prequalification page and let you know.

Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I agree with the NFCU rewards cards. Not everyone can get into NFCU so if you bank there I would definitely try them. With your scores and income you have a decent chance of getting a decent credit limit.

Ok...I will give them a call and see.  My hesitation is with my TransU credit score and the 2 judgments showing on TransU and I have no credit card history.

Message 12 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

They can only say no Smiley Wink. Let us know what you do!

Message 13 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do not waste your inquiries. Too many of them and they will question why you are desperate for new line of credit. Research your chances before applying.

Message 14 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

OP, you have banking accounts with NFCU already? They seem to be a popular card, you should talk with them about applying for a credit card.

If you go to the Citi prequalification link, what is the result that is returned? Do you get a single APR on the cards like the Double Cash or Simplicity? If so, a single APR (even if it is a higher APR) and not a range of APR, that is a good sign for that lender.

Fritz's notes about Chase are relevant, however it's probably a bit early to be strategizing to that level of detail. You first need to see if you get regular CC, such as NFCU. Take the application process slowly until you get another card, and that card has a few months to report, then re-evaluate at that point.

Good luck!

I took your advice and called NFCU. I’m thinking about applying for their Cash Reward card (any suggestions). I will get an auto increase after 13 months, but if I want an increase before then, it will be a hard pull.

I also checked the prequalification page for Cap One. I was pre-approved for QS and Venture. I decided not to bother with Citi.

I’m taking things slowly as suggested. Any advice on who I should app with first? And should I get 2 cards or just one? I’m worried about the inquiries on my CRA’s and lack of credit card history.

Message 15 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Which Credit Card to Apply For??

Hello Community! This is my first post.  I've been trying to rebuild my credit for the past year.  I've been reading posts here for the past several months and need some advise about which credit card to apply for?  This is my first credit card in 30 years.  I opened an Open Sky CC with a $200 cl and only have a 1% UTL just to have something to report to the CRA.  Any advise would be much appreciated!

My Scores
Experian Fico 8 - 715 (2 inq from car finance 8/2014)
TransU Fico 8 - 669 (1 inq from car finance 8/2014; 1 inq from NFCU 4/2015)
Equifax Fico 8 - 708 (5 inq from car finance 8/2014)
Income around 65k

I think your best bet would be the Cap One Quicksilver; an all around good card. Great cash back, easy and fast redemption, no fee balance transfers.

I checked the prequalification page for Cap One. I was pre-approved for QS and Venture.

I called NFCU. I’m thinking about applying for their Cash Reward card (any suggestions). I will get an auto increase after 13 months, but if I want an increase before then, it will be a hard pull.

Any advice on who I should app with first? And should I get 2 cards or just one? I’m worried about the inquiries on my CRA’s and lack of credit card history.

Message 16 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I agree with the NFCU rewards cards. Not everyone can get into NFCU so if you bank there I would definitely try them. With your scores and income you have a decent chance of getting a decent credit limit.

I called NFCU. I’m thinking about applying for their Cash Reward card (any suggestions). I will get an auto increase after 13 months, but if I want an increase before then, it will be a hard pull.

What do you think my chances are with my inquiries on Equifax?

Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Any advice on who I should app with first? And should I get 2 cards or just one? I’m worried about the inquiries on my CRA’s and lack of credit card history.

Venture is the hard card to qualify I assume, unless you desire the 1.5% cash back on all purchases everywhere and on anything. Get both if you would benefit from both. If not, get the one that would benefit you the most.

Just don't apply for VentureOne.

Message 18 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Venture is the hard card to qualify I assume, unless you desire the 1.5% cash back on all purchases everywhere and on anything. Get both if you would benefit from both. If not, get the one that would benefit you the most.

Just don't apply for VentureOne.

If I do both (QS and Venture), will it be on the same HP?  I just checked credit card DB and Cap One pulls all 3 CRA for Venture.

Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any cap1 app is going to pull all crb so it's a triple pull. Anectodatally on here ppl have said if you app for two cards on same day you should see only the one triple pull. Also if you research NFCU traditionally pulls EQ. If it were me I'd app for 2 cap one cards back to back and then app NFCU. Of the Capone cards, the venture is harder to get. Also it's travel rewards so I don't know how you would use those rewards. I like cash back so I would app for QS and QS1. (QS first because no AF), then I'd app NFCU. I can almost guarantee you I'll get the NFCU rewards card. Good luck!
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.