Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help re: multiple inquiries for Chase

tag
rubbinitout
Valued Member

Help re: multiple inquiries for Chase

Hey guys,

Still new around here, but I've been trying to help my grandmother secure a Chase Sapphire Preferred card for a few weeks now. We think she was intentionally misled by Chase to continue applying, but now she has 4 hard inquiries in the last 10 days. Allow me to explain...

My grandparents were looking for a card to use on their upcoming Europe trip. I mentioned that Chase has the SP card, and it has the EMV chip. They hardly use any credit cards, so this would be their first cc app in years. Anyway, they told me they applied. Come to find out, they originally applied for the Freedom card. I told them that was incorrect, so to then apply for the right one. Well, they then applied for the United Explorer card. Yikes! OK, I realized I needed to guide them on what to do, so I sent them in the correct direction.

Of course after 3 inquiries, they were immediately denied, so with a quick call, they were told to send in address verification. No problem, they sent it in immediately. Also, they explained their errors in the multiple applications, so Chase agreed to withdraw the United app but keep the original Freedom app as well.

Yesterday they called to learn whether they uploaded the identity documents into their system since it had been a week, but no dice yet. Meanwhile, they inquired about the original Freedom app, and they were told they were denied because they couldn't locate their identity. This is where it gets tricky...

The verification dept stated that because they could not verify the identity, they just denied the application. The app was submitted on April 4, so it's strange that it was denied so quickly because of this reason. They never received any correspondance asking for identity verification, and it hasn't even been 2 weeks - much less than the 30 days required to consider an application. They could not give a good explanation as to why they didn't ask for ID on this app, but they did require it for the Sapphire Preferred.

A rep in the verification dept told them to reapply for the Freedom app again. Obviously this would make a 4th inquiry - something we all knew - but also something Chase should have known. Chase said it's fine for a customer to be approved for 2 cards at once, so to reapply if they were still interested.

This time my grandmother applied over the phone with a rep. No immediate decision. Today she calls back to learn that her app was immediately denied because of too many inquiries. What really? She asked why was she told to reapply if they were immediately going to deny because of too many inquiries, and all she was told was that they don't know the reason of a future denial, but just that they tell the customer to reapply if they couldn't verify ID. She asked for them to remove the inquiry from her profile and of course was told NO.

So now she has 4 inquiries with 3 denials. The CSP is still in consideration I suppose, but that could likely end in a denial too if they can't "verify identity." I definitely believe my grandmother was misled about applying so many times and did not receive the corret information. Ultimately she just would like the CSP card since there is no need for so much credit. But also she was pre-Q for the Freedom, so wanted to use that app as well.

Anyway, what should be the nexr step here? She used the 888-270-2127 number for Chase, but is there a better one to choose? Should she speak to a supervisor or ask for a specific dept? I know Chase usually has great customer service, so I'm confused why this kind of thing is happening.

OK thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Help re: multiple inquiries for Chase

I am confused about her being mesled by chase by applying so many times.Was it Chase that suggested the Freedom and United cards to be applied for ? I guess I am unclear

Message 2 of 18
rubbinitout
Valued Member

Sorry, let me explain a little more...

Originally it was my grandmother (GM) who did not apply for the correct card - hence the apps for the Freedom and United. 

The 3rd app was for the CSP - the card she ultimately wanted to acquire. However, she was still interested in the Freedom, so wanted to keep that app. Yesterday she was told they couldn't verify her ID for the Freedom app (first Chase app), so they denied it. However, she was then told to reapply because there was likely an error/typo situation.

She reapplied over the phone with a rep and no immediate answer. Today she called to learn the status and was told that she was denied because of so many apps!

My question mainly concerns if Chase should have told her to reapply for the Freedom (now a 4th total app to Chase) if they were going to deny her anyway for so many inquiries. She was told she could have two approved personal cards, so to reapply if she was still interested in the Freedom card as well.

Just seems someone should have told her not to apply since there were already so many applications and to wait for the outcome of the CSP. Maybe I/GM should've known, but we did not.

Appreciate the help!

Message 3 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

ok maybe you should call the backdoor number  with her on the phone and have a credit analyst straighten it all out

Message 4 of 18
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I don't see Chase intentionally misleading your grandmother. It seems she incorrectly app'd for 2 of the wrong cards and then tried to app for the correct card making it the 3rd app. The CSR's do not know everything about each persons credit file, and had no way knowing the computer would deny her for inq.'s. I suggest calling the backdoor # to recon but don't start a thread stating she was intentionally mislead to do something she did on her own.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 5 of 18
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:
I don't see Chase intentionally misleading your grandmother. It seems she incorrectly app'd for 2 of the wrong cards and then tried to app for the correct card making it the 3rd app. The CSR's do not know everything about each persons credit file, and had no way knowing the computer would deny her for inq.'s. I suggest calling the backdoor # to recon but don't start a thread stating she was intentionally mislead to do something she did on her own.

I agree. I don't see how this could be Chase's fault at all. They couldn't verify identity because on the app she might have added an extra character to a street address or last name or maybe mistyped the SSN. This isn't their fault, she has to re-apply and when she got denied for too many inquiries, which Chase is known to be inquiry sensitive. Sounds like you should have just filled out the one CSP app for them. 

Message 6 of 18
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@john398 wrote:

ok maybe you should call the backdoor number  with her on the phone and have a credit analyst straighten it all out

This is the soultion. An analyst will be able to see all the inquiries are from Chase and can listen to and understand the mistakes. I don't see why your grandmother wouldn't be approved if everything else about the report is fine.

Message 7 of 18
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Call the Chase analyst line with your grandparents.. let them talk. (You put the call on speaker.) That way you can help guide them through all of this.

If that doesn't work, you need to get the EO involved.
Message 8 of 18
BigBS
Senior Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@john398 wrote:

This is the soultion. An analyst will be able to see all the inquiries are from Chase and can listen to and understand the mistakes. I don't see why your grandmother wouldn't be approved if everything else about the report is fine.

My thoughts exactly.  If it has been a long time since their last app perhaps a little more assistance up front is what was needed.  Think the backdoor number should help straighten things out.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 9 of 18
rubbinitout
Valued Member

OK so the consensus is that Chase did nothing wrong here...

I agree that it was GM's fault for applying incorrectly in the first place - and yes I should have helped her with it - but I still think Chase should've known the outcome of a potential 4th app.  And so they should not have told GM to reapply when they would inevitably deny.

Anyway, I will try the EO. I'll go on conference call with GM and explain the situation. I'll report back later with my findings.

Hopefully she can get her CSP!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.