Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home improvement cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Home improvement cards

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe if you have the best of credit. But as many others have noted on here, it helps to have the in store rep on your team too, if you are going to make the purchase in the store anyway there is really no reason not too. 

You don't need the best of credit.  I had a 730 score and was approved for $3k and reconned it to $30k instantly with a phone call.  I could have gotten $35k.  The OP without question could get a $35k credit line with his scores that are greater than mine were by a good margin.

OP, another thing I'd suggest doing is scoring a 10% off Lowe's coupon either on ebay or at your local post office in their mover envelope.  That could save you a solid $1400-$1500 on that tile project!

Message 11 of 16
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I had a new roof put on my house by Lowes, just under $10k at 84 months (5.99%) paid it off in 3 years, but I had 84 months special financing. To me Lowes and HD special project financing is the ONLY reason to have those cards since both carry very high APR's otherwise (I think it's 26.99%). I current have $36500 CL on Lowes and $35k CL on HD which we plan to use a lot as we "refresh" our 30 year old home for to sell in a couple of years when I retire and move south. 

Message 12 of 16
arizonahd
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, another thing I'd suggest doing is scoring a 10% off Lowe's coupon either on ebay or at your local post office in their mover envelope.  That could save you a solid $1400-$1500 on that tile project!

I am going to keep an eye out for one of those coupons, especially since we are not in any hurry. I prefer Lowe's terms but their tile selection isn't as good as HD's, which is super annoying. I will be sure to update this thread with what we ended up doing. I just wish there was a 3-5 year loan with 5.99% that would work the same as one of those balance transfer checks Smiley LOL From what I read, Lowes and HD both charge 2-3 times the rate for installation so I am not too interested in their services in that capacity, just the materials.

We still want to finance the install as well, so it makes it hard when these promos only apply to their respective retail stores. 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you looked at the Lowe's tile selection online?  You may find styles on the web site that aren't found at your local store.  Of course with tile it's always nice to see it in the flesh before making a big purchase, but you could always request a sample or order the smallest quantity first to get it in hand and see how it looks on your floor(s).

Message 14 of 16
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@arizonahd wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am going to keep an eye out for one of those coupons, especially since we are not in any hurry. I prefer Lowe's terms but their tile selection isn't as good as HD's, which is super annoying. I will be sure to update this thread with what we ended up doing. I just wish there was a 3-5 year loan with 5.99% that would work the same as one of those balance transfer checks Smiley LOL From what I read, Lowes and HD both charge 2-3 times the rate for installation so I am not too interested in their services in that capacity, just the materials.

We still want to finance the install as well, so it makes it hard when these promos only apply to their respective retail stores. 

In my case, at least for the roof replacement, the price was in line from what I got otherwise as far as quotes. Im not 100% sure, but I don't believe you have to use Lowes or HD to install as long as the major purchase meets the cost requirements. 

Message 15 of 16
arizonahd
Contributor

Thanks for the tips guys, going to go to both and try to to get this done!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.