Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many AMEX Cards Do You Have

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Many AMEX Cards Do You Have

I have one, the Costco TrueEarnings. I used to say that this is the only Amex card worth having for people with moderate spending, but that is wrong after the introduction of the Blue Cash Everyday and Preferred. Which means that this is the first time in years I would consider getting a second Amex.

Message 31 of 48
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I have a Premier Rewards Gold thats it. Its pretty nice Iam thinking about upgrading to Platinum next year.

I have had it over one year now and I finally tried to test my spending limit on the website.  I tried 5k and it said approved.  Then just to see what would happen I checked it for 10k- APPROVED.  Not that I would ever make a single purchase for 10k but its nice to know I could and rack up a massive amount of points.   

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 32 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 3 AmEx Cards, 2 are mine and I'm AU on 1

Blue Cash 6000CL (backdated to 91)

Gold Premier Rewards (backdated to 91)

I am also AU on my Fathers Optima Platinum 16,000CL (opened in 84)

I was going to close the AU card once I got my second AmEx that would be backdated, but I think it might be best to keep it for another year to see if I can get some CLI's on my existing CC's to make up for that 16,000 loss I will take to my total revolving credit by closing the AU card. I think within the next year I should be able to get CLI's on my BC AmEx, BoA World MC, Discover More and Barclays Apple that should be close enough to that 16,000. We shall see.

Message 33 of 48
JonStur
Established Contributor

Just my Costco Amex, I love shopping at Costco plus the rewards for the gas and restaurants...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 34 of 48
BluMoon
New Contributor

I thought I read somewhere that for Amex to give you a backdated card, you have to have had an account with them within the past 12 months.  In other words, if you closed your Amex account two years ago, you had to start over.  Is this incorrect info?  I hope so.

Message 35 of 48
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

That is incorrect.  They easily backdated my accounts to 2001 but I had a card in college and closed it for a reason I do not remember in 1978.  Probably the $35 annual fee. Smiley Indifferent

I think I remember talking to them and they were not willing to go back that far without proof I had the account with them - they said their system doesn't go back that far.

Yea, unless you owed them money as far back as 1978 Smiley Very Happy then they would remember that!

Message 36 of 48
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@BluMoon wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that for Amex to give you a backdated card, you have to have had an account with them within the past 12 months.  In other words, if you closed your Amex account two years ago, you had to start over.  Is this incorrect info?  I hope so.

This is incorrect.  As far as I am aware, you only have to have had the account closed in good standing (there are people that have reported success of getting a card backdated when they had an account charged off, but it usually involves unusual circumstances, like the charge off occurring 20 years ago).  It doesn't matter how long ago.  If it was too long ago, they may not be able to locate the account, but if you have the account information and they can find it, they will backdate your new card.  I closed an Amex revolver in 2004 or 2005 (can't remember which year) and applied for the Amex PR Gold in October of last year.  My card was backdated despite not having an open Amex for 5-6 years.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 37 of 48
Open123
Super Contributor

Business Platinum and Zync.

I was considering apping for the SPG card next year and rotate some of my hotel spending to it.  Regarding the backdating, if the account wasn't settled or CO, it reports as when you were first a member, even back to 85.

In some cases, some have had COs, but Amex either forgave or forgot about it backdating even with a CO.

Message 38 of 48
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@Scuba wrote:

Thanks Walk K, I will try calling AMEX with that cryptic #  from my Experian CR and will let you know what I find.

If they tell you they can't do anything with that number, ask them to open an investigation.  I was told by the CSR that the number was not any kind of Amex number, but I asked him to take it down and see if he could locate my account.  I also sent a message through the secure message system.  A couple days later, they had my card backdated.  I hope it works out for you.

I know that Amex's credit reporting department will only take the numbers on the CRA report for direct disputes. They might be the only department who has direct access to those numbers.

Message 39 of 48
DI
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Business Platinum and Zync.

I was considering apping for the SPG card next year and rotate some of my hotel spending to it.  Regarding the backdating, if the account wasn't settled or CO, it reports as when you were first a member, even back to 85.

In some cases, some have had COs, but Amex either forgave or forgot about it backdating even with a CO.

Send them a message via AMEX's message portal.  Tell them you've been a cardmember since 1985.  They may update your member since date without having to provide any information.   

Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.