cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How exactly does the BoA Secure CC graduate and should i take a hit on a HP to PC?

tag
wilmer007
Contributor

How exactly does the BoA Secure CC graduate and should i take a hit on a HP to PC?

i got a partially secured BoA Bankamericard CC on 5/27/16 with a $500 SL that i've SD for pretty much the entire year. the one year is coming up and today i got a notification about the annual fee appearing in June and here i am wondering what happen to the supposed automatic graduation within the year. it sounds to me like they haven't been looking at my CP recently (when i got this card my scores where in the low-mid 600s at best) or they would take a hint as to why i have my card SD and not giving them any business.

so now here i am thinking a couple of things:

1) should i contact them now for the graduation? if so should i call, email or chat?

2) should i take a HP to get them to PC the card to something like the blue travel rewards or BBR with $0 AF and give me a CLI all with only one HP (would prefer them to SP though).

3) if they don't do option 2 then i'll take any $0 AF card (still would prefer the BBR at this point) they want to give me just to keep the account open while it remains SD. if they still don't then the next option is waive the AF or i'll be closing down the card faster than they can say "we hate to see you leave".

because right now the only thing i keep saying to myself is "these guys are out of their mind if they think i'm going to be paying a $39 AF and thinking i need their little $500 toy limit".

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How exactly does the BoA Secure CC graduate and should i take a hit on a HP to PC?

SDing the card is about the worst thing you can do if you want to graduate. That said, if your profile supports it you may be able to graduate anyway. It doesnt take a HP to graduate (from what I've heard), but if you ask for a CLI they WILL HP you. You can "PC" but you will keep the annual fee. Removing the annual fee doesnt take a HP, but you'll be hard pressed to get an assiciate that knows what they're doing. The CSR has to run the tool on the computer and it says weather you're eligible. (Then they fill out a form and send it for final approval).

Also, its nearly impossible to PC to the BBR.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How exactly does the BoA Secure CC graduate and should i take a hit on a HP to PC?

@Anonymous wrote:

SDing the card is about the worst thing you can do if you want to graduate. 

Agreed! You should show some usage, doesn't have to be a lot, but it should be some. 

From reading the forums, boa will grow like crazy if you treat them right. 

Message 3 of 18
wilmer007
Contributor

@Justagirl73 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

SDing the card is about the worst thing you can do if you want to graduate. 

Agreed! You should show some usage, doesn't have to be a lot, but it should be some. 

From reading the forums, boa will grow like crazy if you treat them right. 

they haven't done anything for me to give me incentives to use their cards, meanwhile Chase keeps giving me high SL, PC from Slate to CFU, and now they give me "Selected For You" for the CSP (which i can then PC to Freedom).

getting high CLI is good but for me rewards are more important as having $300k total credit means nothing if you PIF every month. i'll take 2.25-7.5 UR per dollar any day over BoA higher credit limits.

if i have to spend money to graduate then they can keep their cards and enjoy theirs in my SD as i will not spend on their card when : 1) they have no interest in doing business with me 2) they want an AF when they don't deserve it nor have any incentives to warrant why money should come out of my pocket for their crappy card. 

it looks like i'll be chatting with them about my card as they will see either a close account or they will be waiving that AF at bare minimum.

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then close it. 

But don't expect anything from them when your not using the card. As for the annual fee, you signed up it. 

Message 5 of 18
wilmer007
Contributor

ok i just spoke with a CSR and she informed that i graduated back in June even though in January the lady i spoke with told me my card was still partially secured. so now my card doesn't have an AF anymore. she also filled out the forms for PC to either the Travel or Cash reward cards (she said they don't do PC to BBR anymore). so we will see in a few days what happens with that.

Message 6 of 18
wilmer007
Contributor

so today i get an email saying the case for PC to travel reward card was closed (she opened the case last night). so i call the number on the email to find out the outcome and she informed me that the PC to travel card was approved and that it would take 2-4 weeks to get the card. that is great to hear as it was one of the two cards i wanted to PC to since last year.

only problem is she was looking at the notes and informed me that my card graduated a few days ago on 4/27/17 and not june of last year. so now 3 different CSRs have given me 3 completely different responses about my graduation. And you guys expect me to spend and give business to BoA when they can't even get something so simple done right.

long story short i finally got the card i wanted but it's still going to be SD until i travel and even then it will be a backup card to the CSR.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wilmer007 wrote:

so today i get an email saying the case for PC to travel reward card was closed (she opened the case last night). so i call the number on the email to find out the outcome and she informed me that the PC to travel card was approved and that it would take 2-4 weeks to get the card. that is great to hear as it was one of the two cards i wanted to PC to since last year.

only problem is she was looking at the notes and informed me that my card graduated a few days ago on 4/27/17 and not june of last year. so now 3 different CSRs have given me 3 completely different responses about my graduation. And you guys expect me to spend and give business to BoA when they can't even get something so simple done right.

long story short i finally got the card i wanted but it's still going to be SD until i travel and even then it will be a backup card to the CSR.

I'm curious...

Since you have such strong feelings about the service or lack of service with BoA, why did you open the account? Why didn't you just wait a little while and cold app for the card you wanted? And if you're still unhappy, why didn't you close the account? Based on your post you don't need the card because you plan to use your CSR when you travel.

Message 8 of 18
wilmer007
Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@wilmer007 wrote:

I'm curious...

Since you have such strong feelings about the service or lack of service with BoA, why did you open the account? Why didn't you just wait a little while and cold app for the card you wanted? And if you're still unhappy, why didn't you close the account? Based on your post you don't need the card because you plan to use your CSR when you travel.

i was new to rebuilding last year. if i had known what i know now i wouldn't have opened it (at the time i was just taking any low end card that would get accepted to help build back). but then again i would have eventually gotten the travel card anyway since it has $0 AF and no FTF which makes for a great backup international card if your main one gets declined or gets lost.

Message 9 of 18
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@wilmer007 wrote:

If it truly graduated, you would have received your security deposit back. So it clearly did not graduate back in January.

As far as the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, well, that's very typical of Bank of America. At least in my experience with dealing with them in the part. 

Nobody is expecting you to give your business to B of A, but in all fairness, you did inquire of the forum members what there thoughts on the subject were.  

Best credit wishes to you, O.P.

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.