cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How high a value have you gotten for Hilton points?

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

How high a value have you gotten for Hilton points?

Hey all,

I know that HIlton points are on the lower end, usually averaging around 0.5-0.6 cpp. I’m going to Switzerland for a few nights and found a Hilton hotel where I can get value slightly over 1 cpp. Is this considered a good redemption or have you guys gotten much higher? Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: How high a value have you gotten for Hilton points?

Sounds good to me! My last redemption was 1 cpp.
Message 2 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

If you'd be willing to otherwise pay the cash price, it's a great value...particularly if you don't stay there often and have limited opportunities to redeem.

Keep in mind that in reporting cpp values, users may include upgrades or perks from Diamond status (which you presumably lack).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 9
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

If you'd be willing to otherwise pay the cash price, it's a great value...particularly if you don't stay there often and have limited opportunities to redeem.

Keep in mind that in reporting cpp values, users may include upgrades or perks from Diamond status (which you presumably lack).

Thanks you two for your input! I do have Gold status, not Diamond, but I wasn’t including any status-related perks in that valuation, simply room rate. Looks like I’m gonna go for it though!

Message 4 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I wouldn’t do a Marriott redemption for 1cpp but for Hilton I think that is pretty good. For valuations, one thing I’ve seen a lot of people miss is that on award redemptions you don’t pay taxes on the room rate, so I always include the FULL cash cost when calculating prices. Sometimes that $300/night room might actually be closer to $375 in some areas with high hospitality taxes.
Message 5 of 9
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:
I wouldn’t do a Marriott redemption for 1cpp but for Hilton I think that is pretty good. For valuations, one thing I’ve seen a lot of people miss is that on award redemptions you don’t pay taxes on the room rate, so I always include the FULL cash cost when calculating prices. Sometimes that $300/night room might actually be closer to $375 in some areas with high hospitality taxes.

+1.  I'm with @K-in-Boston on this one.  When I value my Marriott points I use the Member Rate, not standard as anyone can sign up for Marriott Rewards for free and get the Member Rate.  Then value my points against the total cost of of the stay, tax included as I would be paying that if it were cash vs. points.  

99% of my Marriott points from credit cards come ONLY from bonus categories on my SPG Business and Amex Gold.  I don't ever use those cards outside of their bonus categories. For my personal calculation, I get 4 Marriott points/dollar on all redeptiom as again, 99% of my points come from those 2 cards.  So for the vast majority of my stays, I'm usually seeing 3-4 (sometimes 5) cent per point on redemption stays.

When I have a stay where points are a horrible redemption based on the cash price I'll apply my AAA discount which a good part of the time will reduce the member rate by another $15-30 bucks per night.  

There are a lot of tweaks that you can play with in regards to Marriott Rewards which is why I've went all in on their system...and that 5th night free on redemption is another sweet spot with them.  

Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Hey all,

I know that HIlton points are on the lower end, usually averaging around 0.5-0.6 cpp. I’m going to Switzerland for a few nights and found a Hilton hotel where I can get value slightly over 1 cpp. Is this considered a good redemption or have you guys gotten much higher? Thanks!

Sounds great to me. I usually get half a cent.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

1cp for a reservation St Patrick's day weekend in Savannah Ga. I did have to transfer MRs over but I got 2cp from them as well so it made sense.

Message 8 of 9
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

If you can get 1 cpp I would take it. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.