Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after collections before Citi will offer new card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long after collections before Citi will offer new card

Hello everyone!

Newbie here with a question about being offered new credit card. I once had two Citi credit cards that fell into collections and were charged off. However, enough time has passed now that these have fallen off of my report. I never repaid them.

My question - since Citi has pretty much cornerd the market on retail credit cards, how long will they keep me in the penalty box before offering me new credit? Ever? I also had a Capital One credit card that was charged off from the same time period. They offered me a new card within two years. 

Just curious if anyone has any experience in this area. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: How long after collections before Citi will offer new card

Cap one is very forgiving, Citi not so much. While the CO's are no longer on your CR's they are alive and well in Citi's memory bank. Can't say how long for sure they will hold a grudge, have you checked for pre quals? Checking that and applying are the only ways to know for sure if your blacklisted. Which card were you planning on apping for? And as a side note I'd say Citi is nowhere near corneried the market on retail cards.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you are most certainly going to be in the penalty box without repaying.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I burned Citi in 2009 for $15k.  I have since paid it back but I also have  a judgement on my credit to show for it and the likelihood that I will have to wait at least  a few more years before they would even consider me for a card again. It's totally my fautl, I ignored my debt rather than face it for years.  There was nothing I could do anyway so I became a pro at avoidance.

For what it's worth, the account fell off my credit at least 3 years ago, well before the SOL had run out.  you were never sued for the money?   

Cap One, Discover, both were forgiving and gave me new cards (Cap One approved me even with an old Cap One charge off still reporting)  but Citi and Chase put you on their Blacklist for sure.  I have heard many stories on here, some do get back in evntually, other seem to never get back in, even decades later.

My problem is Citi does not know that I paid back the debt. Granted, I didn't pay it back to them, but rather a debt collector, but I paid back every cent I owed, plus some.

I applied for a secured card about 6 months ago, just to see what would happen. They did not approve me but the reason had nothing to do with prior history. It had more to do with my current good account file being too thin.  That is true since I just started re-building last Oct after nearly 10 years with no new credit.  

All my baddies wil (FINALLY!!!) fall off next year and I plan to try for a mortgage at that point and then try my luck at better credit cards in 2018.   

I suggest trying their pre-qual site. A pre-qual is not an approval, clearly, but it would give you an idea if they have blacklisted your or not.  Of course, ti would also depend on your overall profile and if you would meet their standards anyway. 

Message 4 of 10
greent
Frequent Contributor

I had a Target charge off that fell of my report a few years ago. I recently cold apped for them again and was instantly approved. I never paid the CO. Maybe it will be the same for Citi. Good Luck!

Message 5 of 10
adamkingadam
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone!

Newbie here with a question about being offered new credit card. I once had two Citi credit cards that fell into collections and were charged off. However, enough time has passed now that these have fallen off of my report. I never repaid them.

My question - since Citi has pretty much cornerd the market on retail credit cards, how long will they keep me in the penalty box before offering me new credit? Ever? I also had a Capital One credit card that was charged off from the same time period. They offered me a new card within two years. 

Just curious if anyone has any experience in this area. Thanks!

FWIW My GF Just applied and got approved for a CITI costco with a charged off citi cc from 2014.  She does have an existing banking relationship with them as well. 

Starting Scores: 1/1/2016
EX 600 EQ 598 TU 610
Current Fico Scores (9/2016):EX: 674 EQ: 678 TU: 689
Message 6 of 10
thummel
Established Contributor

TD bank and Citi are two very different banks @ greent. The only way to know if they will give you another card is to apply but the chances are obviously not good. Citi has a very long memory.. Best of luck though..
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP...so glad you asked I'm in the same boat....I pre qualify for 4 cards from CITI webpage... one was the Smiley WinkDCSmiley Wink was soooooo tempted to app!!!

Please anyone with data on getting back do tell!

Took me 30min. On the phone with chase CSR to get off their blacklist...jus not ready to go through that again so soonSmiley Sad

Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 10
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

How long is too long? I had a CO and I believe I paid them back. Of course not in full. This was in 2012 and the entry from EX will fall off August 2016.

I want to apply for DC, Prestige but don't want the waste HP
Message 9 of 10
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.