Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many CC's is enough?

tag
zeusta20
Established Contributor

How many CC's is enough?

I've always heard that you're supposed to have betwen 3-5 credit cards. No less than 3 and no more than 5. I've carefully planned out my portfolio ever since i was 19. (i'm 22 now----23 in july----). So now I have my 5 CC'S. BUT, after reading so many different beneifts, I'm extremely tempted to get two more...lol.

Is it bad on your credit report to have 6 or 7 CC's? Do you guys think that may be over doing it?

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: How many CC's is enough?

I have 10 open and two of these are secured. I will drop the secures and plan on keeping 10 cards. May go up to 12 but that's my internal limit. For FICO scoring 3 gives you most pts but after three I don't think you are penalized any.

Whether or not future companies will deny u credit based on how much existing credit has been the topic of debates here.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 40
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Once they're paid off and I'm financially stable, the perfect number will be three. An Amex, Visa, & MC. My remaniing cards will be closed or shredded.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 40
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I only app for cards that will benefit me or fulfills a need. I thought about being happy with 1 Visa, MC and so one but I also like the flexibility of utilizing some cc's for points/bts etc. Also, there are the random store cards like Walmart for the free TU score.

In the end, it's truly personal. As long as you can handle the credit - keep your util low then your CS will be fine.
Message 4 of 40
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Thanks for the input everybody! All the POV's from everybody really helps.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 5 of 40
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I have 6, which is too many... but they serve a purpose...

Navy Fed, just to have a nice limit and some cash back rewards, low APR, and nice BT offers.

Discover,  keep it open due to account history and because its my oldest account.  Cash back is nice, as is Shop Discover and Discover Travel Desk.  Impeccable customer service... a good card.

Amazon... Amazon rewards 3% on amazon, 2% on gas, drugstores, and restaurants.   This is my restaurant and Amazon card.

Lowes...  Lowes rewards 7%, and to keep business expenses sepearate from personal,  the limit is much higher than I need, but oh well.

PRG...  groceries, gas, and travel rewards... all are things my family does a lot of...   also, NPSL, so I can charge as much as I need to in order to take care of things. My annual spend is over 30k gets me a 15000 MR point bonus.

Zync... nostalgia, and an open positive tradeline to help my husband re-establish good credit.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 40
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Navy Fed, just to have a nice limit and some cash back rewards, low APR, and nice BT offers.

Discover,  keep it open due to account history and because its my oldest account.  Cash back is nice, as is Shop Discover and Discover Travel Desk.  Impeccable customer service... a good card.

Amazon... Amazon rewards 3% on amazon, 2% on gas, drugstores, and restaurants.   This is my restaurant and Amazon card.

Lowes...  Lowes rewards 7%, and to keep business expenses sepearate from personal,  the limit is much higher than I need, but oh well.

PRG...  groceries, gas, and travel rewards... all are things my family does a lot of...   also, NPSL, so I can charge as much as I need to in order to take care of things. My annual spend is over 30k gets me a 15000 MR point bonus.

Zync... nostalgia, and an open positive tradeline to help my husband re-establish good credit.

Wait....am I missing something. How can spending over 30k get you 25K bonus points? Is there an annual bonus for the PRG? If so, I had NO IDEA. And I look this card up frequently as I'm thinking about converting to that card. Just not sure if the AF is worth it.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 7 of 40
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@zeusta20 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Wait....am I missing something. How can spending over 30k get you 25K bonus points? Is there an annual bonus for the PRG? If so, I had NO IDEA. And I look this card up frequently as I'm thinking about converting to that card. Just not sure if the AF is worth it.

Yes, there is an annual bonus of 15000 MR points if your annual spend exceeds 30k.   Last year my Zync spend was 40k, so I decided to pick up PRG and go after those poitns.

In my opinion you should upgrade Green to PRG, and downgrade CSP to plain Sapphire.     That's what I would do if I were to change your wallet to fit my needs without opening or closing any accounts.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 40
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@zeusta20 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Yes, there is an annual bonus of 15000 MR points if your annual spend exceeds 30k.   Last year my Zync spend was 40k, so I decided to pick up PRG and go after those poitns.

In my opinion you should upgrade Green to PRG, and downgrade CSP to plain Sapphire.     That's what I would do if I were to change your wallet to fit my needs without opening or closing any accounts.

now...another question for you...(sorry for all the questions.lol.)

I just looked up the airlines that i'm able to transfer points to. And normally I fly united, which is NOT a partner of amex it looks like. If I were to upgrade, would I be able to have more choices to transfer airline miles to?

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 9 of 40
antae
New Contributor

I've had a visa & mc for about 17 years before adding amex BCP & PRG.  It works for me.  I'm financially stable which helps. I don't run to the credit card flavor of the month.  You only need a couple of cards long term to build rock solid credit history.  I can obtain pretty much any card at any time which is a great feeling.

Amex BCP 25k '11 - Amex PRG '11 - Chase Sapphire 17.5k '95 - Citi Platinum Select 11.5k '93
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.